Wood I.D. / Pics...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSYS

Sep 26, 2013
WISCONSIN
www.facebook.com
I'm still a newbie at this... sorry, guys! I know I need to buckle down on my wood identification. This is probably an obvious one. I did a search online and looked at Google images, as well. There is an obvious change in color in the centermost part of this wood. I can't find any information on it... I.D., burning info, heat info, etc, etc.

This was some of the wood I got from a coworkers land last weekend. This fairly small round was a complete you-know-what to split! All of the rounds that look like this type of wood have been giving me grief. They sit in my backyard mocking me... insulting me... it is horrendous. NONE of it splits relatively easily.

Sorry for the questions...

Thanks, fellas...

** this is a shot of the culprit **

DSCF5234_zps21ff468f.jpg

** ...and another shot of the culprit **

DSCF5235_zpsdcb428d4.jpg

** ...and this is where my stacks currently are at. I'm going to take a better close-up shot of the rack on left tomorrow afternoon and hopefully, get more I.D. help from some of the experts here on the forum. The stack on the right is a Birch Tree we removed from our front yard **

DSCF5237_zps6e91ae49.jpg

It would help to give a picture of the bark too. It is difficult in pictures but it appears some oak in the background and this may be oak too.

It I hard to say what type of wood that is without a picture of the bark. From what I can see I guess Pignut Hickory.

Sure looks and splits like HICKORY as evidenced by the multiple axe marks!

Reactions: JOHN BOY and PSYS
Heartwood looks similar to elm but not the bark. Could be some hickory. I'm still learning myself. As most of us are.

Status
Not open for further replies.