Wood I have left to this date!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Wood For 2009 - 2010

Started with 21 Face Cord Stacked
2 Face Cord of Kindling Stacked / 1 FC Left

1. 1 Face Cord of Ash – Night Burns / 1 FC Left
2. 2 Face Cord of Beech – Night Burns / 2 FC Left
3. 6 Face Cord of Hard Maple – Night Burns / 4 FC Left
4. 12 Face Cord of Cherry – Day Burns / 6 FC Left

Zap

Holy cow zap, do I understand that correctly...you already burned 6 full cords? That's a lot of wood. btw also a lot of unnecessary extra work to separate wood like that too.

savageactor7 said:
Holy cow zap, do I understand that correctly...you already burned 6 full cords? That's a lot of wood. btw also a lot of unnecessary extra work to separate wood like that too.

Face Cord, also the wood stove is in the basement.

zap

zapny said:
savageactor7 said:

Face Cord, also the wood stove is in the basement.

zap

I have burnt over 9 cords we are scraping the bottom of a 20x20 concrete slab there was 10 cords on that on Nov. 1st

I am scraping bottom too. I could probably burn some of the stuff I split and stacked in October, but I'd rather not. I've got a bunch of cherry stacked since October that is good and dark. It's gonna need more time.

I am hoping for a warm up. When the season started - I thought I was good until the end of March. I will be dry by the end of next week. I could use another 30 days supply.

basswidow said:
I am scraping bottom too. I could probably burn some of the stuff I split and stacked in October, but I'd rather not. I've got a bunch of cherry stacked since October that is good and dark. It's gonna need more time.

I am hoping for a warm up. When the season started - I thought I was good until the end of March. I will be dry by the end of next week. I could use another 30 days supply.

I have another 20 cords about 3-4 split and another 15-17 that needs split yet. the snow so deep we cant move any of it.

I started with 3 cord seasoned 2 partially seasoned and 1 wet, Ive burned up all 3 seaoned cords and bought 2 additional csd (almost had a stroke that day) and only have 1.25 left, am waiting to Build a 10-12 cord capable wood shed this summer and have it full by Fall.

used:
3 cords of 2.5 yo mostly oak
1.5 cord 2 yo pine

left:
2 cords 2.5 yo oak
6 cords 2 yo mostly oak
5 cords 1.5 yo pine
1 very eager man with overly sharpened saws and too much snow to do any cutting on a nearby lot with a lot of wasp damaged Red Oak! :(

Used about 2 cords and have another 4 or so left. (I don't burn 24/7)

Pretty much screwed here. Not much left n the way of seasoned hardwoods. The snow all but shut my scrounging down. I have a half cord of cottonwood and red cedar for shoulder season along with 1/4 cord of oddball split hardwood all under 16" in length.

On the plus side I found 2 tree service companies that are willing to drop $200 worth of log length per month starting March. If I process 3 cords per month that will give me 20+ cords by November. If all goes well I can order a new EPA stove for the second hearth in about 3 years.

we've only been burning for a few hours in the evening so the stacks aren't diminishing much. Don't think we will burn the 5 cord I had earmarked for this Winter, probably closer to 3. Big difference from the 8 cord I went through last Winter but then natural gas prices were insane then. At this rate, I could be 3 years ahead instead of 2.

LLigetfa said:
we've only been burning for a few hours in the evening so the stacks aren't diminishing much. Don't think we will burn the 5 cord I had earmarked for this Winter, probably closer to 3. Big difference from the 8 cord I went through last Winter but then natural gas prices were insane then. At this rate, I could be 3 years ahead instead of 2.

LLigetfa have you received a normal amount of snow this year or less.

Zap

This was my first year burning. I burned my little Waterford 104 for 24/7 from November 20th to January 10 and then the Regency I2100M Insert from January 11-present.

I just bought the house in November, so I didnt have anything planned. Went through right around 2 cords, have maybe 1/4 of a cord left. It was cold in Jersey this winter...

zapny said:
LLigetfa have you received a normal amount of snow this year or less.

Zap
A little more snow than average.

Started with 7 cords, 6 dry. Only 2 1/2 burned so far. This new Hearthstove stove is way more efficient then I though. Of course the old Vigilant was a wicked smoke dragon.

if i understand right he started with 7 full cords and has 4 and 1/3 full cords left????
3 fc= 1 full cord

21 fc =7 full cords
with 13 fc left
12 fc =4 full cords??
so not even 3 full cords burned is great!! for northern NY
looks like you might have at least 2 full cords or 6 face cord left over!

iceman said:
if i understand right he started with 7 full cords and has 4 and 1/3 full cords left????
3 fc= 1 full cord

21 fc =7 full cords
with 13 fc left
12 fc =4 full cords??
so not even 3 full cords burned is great!! for northern NY
looks like you might have at least 2 full cords or 6 face cord left over!

sounds like a part-timer to me! or a pellet pig lol we will convert you...

I'm at about 5 cords used now. Have about 1 1/2 cords left. Hopefully spring comes pretty soon. Been burning more due to unseasoned wood. Hopefully next year it drops some.

I burnt almost six cords burning 24/7, Still on the same tank of oil from 2 years ago!!

I have burned just over 4 cords. I have plenty of seasoned wood, the problem for me is getting to it. The snow is too deep for my truck so I have been hauling it out on a sled. A lot of work.

When all is said and done I figure I should have burned about 5-6 cords for this winter . . . and should have 4-5 cords left over.

rayza said:
Are we all talking "real cords" or "face cords" ?

Ray

I had face cord but I think most people use cord.

zap

rayza said:
Are we all talking "real cords" or "face cords" ?

Ray

To me a cord is a cord . . . i.e. 4 x 4 x 8 feet or 128 square feet . . . a very real, always constant measurable amount . . . a face cord . . . never heard it mentioned until I started hanging out here . . . seems like there are too many variables when folks start talking about face cords since a face cord made up of 12 inch wood is a lot less wood than a face cord made up of 22 inch wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.