Wood ID and bench project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobk

Sep 2, 2011
MN
Need help identifying this tree. Not sure what it is. It blew over in a storm last week. Sorry no pictures of the leaves but had smaller oval shaped leaves with groups of small berries/nuts. hauled the main trunk home in a 10 foot piece to make a bench for around the fire pit. After cutting in half found out the ants had made a nice home in the end so its down to about 7 feet now.

Attachments

• 20130627_192050.jpg
    20130627_192050.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 20130627_192102.jpg
    20130627_192102.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 208
  • 20130627_192120.jpg
    20130627_192120.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20130627_193022.jpg
    20130627_193022.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 200
Looks like Maple....maybe Sugar?

EDIT: Oops, didn't see about the berries/nuts and oval leaves... back to the drawing board. :rolleyes:

I don't think maple, but lets see, cause I don't know.... If I was gonna take a wild guess, I would say elm because I never saw elm before and I never saw this before, so.......

The leaves where smaller and kind of saw-toothed. The nuts/berries where round without the wing part like a maple

I love how you splt that in half just like you were processing a steer, the dark insides that follow the tree should give the answer that we are all looking for from some one that really knows.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I think it will turn out really nice after sanding and finishing. The heartwood on the rounds was a dark purple almost black when fresh cut. After sitting 2 days it is a lot lighter and has cracks going all the way across some of the rounds.

Big Donnie I think you may have it. After looking at some pictures the leaves and berries look right. Has anyone burned hackberry. Is it a good wood for cold months or better for fall/spring.

Has anyone burned hackberry. Is it a good wood for cold months or better for fall/spring.
I haven't burned any yet, although there's a good bit of it in the woods here. Those who have say it burns well and puts out medium heat. I used a lot of medium-heat wood during the day last winter, and mixed in a few splits of some longer-burning stuff for overnight burns.

My hackberry was troublesome to split. Mine was so stringy that every piece had to be pulled apart (when green). But, it cured very quickly (6-12 months). I had to burn it last winter at the end before it was really ready, but I'd rank it near cherry for heat and burn time. Easy to start a dry piece, though. I had to wait over a year to split the last round from the bottom of the tree. Had to be 2.5-3' across, and it stalled out a 27 ton splitter right after it was cut.

I've got two cords of it ready to go this season. It's very light and a whole lot easier to split when it's dry. Some of the low rounds had a really neat looking spalting, but my gifts lie in destruction, and not construction.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Big Donnie I think you may have it. After looking at some pictures the leaves and berries look right. Has anyone burned hackberry. Is it a good wood for cold months or better for fall/spring.

It's a "medium" wood. About like silver maple or maybe even as good as cherry. That is indeed hackberry in the pictures.

Reactions: ScotO
Hackberry burns like cherry. Doesn't have the aroma of cherry though.

I agree, looks like hackberry to me too. That'll be a really cool bench! Whatcha gonna use for legs?

Oh, and now that we're on the hook, you GOTTA post pictures of the bench when it's done....thems the rules....

Looks like pignut to me.

Looks like pignut to me.
The more I look at it, I don't see any warts on the bark like Hackberry should have.....I'm thinking you may be right, SmokinJ!

Jacob, any chance we could see a cluster of leaves and those nuts/berries that were on this tree?

Looks like pignut to me.

I was thinking along the lines of a Hickory too when I read the little description and saw the grain when I read this the other day, but so many seemed to think it was Hackberry so I thought I'd see where this thread led. We shall see if we get some more clues....

Sorry no pictures of the branches available. They have all been burned by the homeowner where the tree came from. If it helps any nuts/berries where clustered together. I split some by hand on friday and it was not too bad for the most part. I will make sure to post pictures of the progress of the bench.

Its nice that the tree in its own way, regardless of species, persuaded you to make something of it that has a longer lifespan than firewood. It inspired you.

I don't know what it is but I don't think it's Pignut.

Status
Not open for further replies.