Wood ID and score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff310

Oct 7, 2010
Toledo Ohio area
I scored this wood today, I know there is some locust in there the majority of it looks like a maple of sorts. I didnt get it all home tonight, I will get it in the coming days

Jeff

Attachments

• wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 516
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 496
  • wood5.jpg
    wood5.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 486
Not sure on the wood but great score.

Zap

jhoff310 said:
I scored this wood today, I know there is some locust in there the majority of it looks like a maple of sorts. I didnt get it all home tonight, I will get it in the coming days

Jeff
Wake up It's getting late and someone might get there before you ! Nice find make it yours

the white square in the first picture all the way to the left is a sign I threw on it. I know the property owner and he said he would chase anybody away. I have got wood from this guy before, he had a tree fall on his house a few years back and cause 90K in damage. This tree lost a huge limb on Monday due to the ice storm we had here. The city finally cut it yesterday and he came to me and asked me if I wanted it.

Jeff

I don't see any locust but I think I see a big old Norway Maple. The thick furrowed bark looks like older Norway Maples, and the darker heartwood with a thick white sapwood also resembles old Norway Maples. In many Pennsylvania cities there are a lot of big, old Norway Maples like this tree, so I assume the same is true in Ohio. That is a great score. I hope you're ready for some heavy duty splitting - some of those pieces will put up a fight.

A pile like that on the curb around here would start a feeding frenzy. Nice score.

Yeah - I see a bunch of maple - and I agree, it will put up a fight unless you're using a hydraulic splitter.

Great score - I was pleased with the maple I got last year. Seasoned in 1 year and burned just fine.

Nice score you got there man! I've seen locust sold around here for $400+ a cord.

WOW that's a monster score! Nice job...give the owner a 12 pack for thinking of you!

Yes, nice score! I haven't seen anything like that yet, probably gone before I can get to them over my lunch hour. Gratz!

Tim

I have to stop coming across wood scores like this. My wife understands my addiction and claims she is fine with it, but I think she is secretly thinking about divorce court if I bring home more wood. LOL My poor dogs are running out of places to conduct their business, Im waiting for them to climb the piles and do their business on my wood to send me a message.

Jeff

here is a pic of one of the splits, still curious as to what it is.

Jeff

Attachments

• wood2-28-2.jpg
    wood2-28-2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.