Wood ID...Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avalondouglas

Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey
Could use some help please...thanks!
IMG_6905.JPGIMG_6907.JPGIMG_6906.JPG

No...I dont think so. Its a little over the top for Ash bark. There are some people here who have posted similar, however, and insisted it was Ash.
You have Tulip poplar, Big tooth Aspen, Sassafras, Cottonwood, and Chestnut Oak with BIG blocky bark.
Not really alot of trees with that characteristic but they are all very similar.

Reactions: avalondouglas
Tulip poplar by the way is not even remotely related to poplar. Like the Aspen poplars. Not even cousins.
Is this a scrounge or a cut down?
Nice stacks by the way.

i would pull that bark off the round and see what it looks like underneath it. or look to see any D shaped holes for ash.

The wood between Tulip and Ash are VERY different. Ash has lots of beautiful grain pattern and tulip is very fine with no patterns.
Although I would stack them together in the drying racks.
Your pics are fuzzy on my smart phone, hard to tell.
But, yeah, look for signs of the bugs/pests that only eat that wood.
The D shaped holes in the bark. I didnt see any.
Thats how I can tell Elm alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.