Wood ID assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Any ideas of what kind of wood this is? It's a softwood, very light and burns quick, splits very easily, the small splits sometimes will fly. I don't know the moisture content, but it makes great kindling. it will occasionally pop and was driftwood from a flood control lake. I can get a lot of "used to be" driftwood, but by far most of it is some variation of softwood, I'm guessing the hardwoods don't float as well and make better crappie beds. :)

Attachments

• Wood ID assistance
    Wood1.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 158
Looks like some type of soft maple to me

Could be a soft maple, I'm sure we have them, but hard maple are the most common here, they take forever to grow.

When you said pops the first thing that came to mind was maple, I've been hit by splits popping into my knees when splitting vertical, also looks like maple.

Reactions: MoDoug
Sounds like the most logical candidate, now I can don't have to refer to it as that softwood. Thanks for the replies guys!