Wood ID (bark & wood only)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Its dead and dried out.. kind of platy looking bark. Some kind of cherry? I included a US quarter in the pics for scale. I found a few that are living, so if I can't get an answer I'll update with leaf shots in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 259
homebrewz said:
Its dead and dried out.. kind of platy looking bark. Some kind of cherry? I included a US quarter in the pics for scale. I found a few that are living, so if I can't get an answer I'll update with leaf shots in the spring.

Silver

Everthing can't be Silver maple :lol: It's really hard to tell, the tree is small and dead, makes a very tough ID. Possibly a type of Hickory.

webby3650 said:
Everthing can't be Silver maple :lol: It's really hard to tell, the tree is small and dead, makes a very tough ID. Possibly a type of Hickory.

lol Sure wish it wasnt....Hickory just has a much better snap to it when splitting. Like you want to stand behind the splitter. Dry like that and it would sound like home run Derby time!

Didn't look like silver maple to me either. There is a group of these trees growing on the edge of a field where a small stream exists. Its very wet here sometimes and I'm guessing many of these trees died from flooding. There are many shagbark hickories near by, but this stuff doesn't feel as dense as hickory, nor does it seem to burn as hot.

homebrewz said:
Didn't look like silver maple to me either. There is a group of these trees growing on the edge of a field where a small stream exists. Its very wet here sometimes and I'm guessing many of these trees died from flooding. There are many shagbark hickories near by, but this stuff doesn't feel as dense as hickory, nor does it seem to burn as hot.

Not saying silver Just maple. just a guess as well..lol sorry wrong thread i am say silver on this one...

I'd believe silver maple for the bark shot - never seen em' split. Cheers!

I'm thinkin maple as well

White oak, from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.