Wood ID, Beech or Maple or ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I scrounged a load of this wood recently along side the road by my house. It is quite heavy, similar in weight to red oak. It seems quite hard to split compared to red oak or soft maple. When I got it, I thought it was Beech but after splitting a round, I'm not sure.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
CW

Attachments

• DSC00301.JPG
    DSC00301.JPG
    745.5 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC00304.JPG
    DSC00304.JPG
    612.7 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC00310.JPG
    DSC00310.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00313.JPG
    DSC00313.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: stephiedoll
If you find any black warts on the bark, it's probably hackberry. Not sure otherwise.

Beech

If it ain't beech, it sure is a good imitation.

Beech, it has the bark disease.

Beech, it has the bark disease.
Yeah...maybe
Red maple gets a bark canker too but the stress cracks are small and even that kinda leans more toward beech.
But the inner bark on Beech is light tan and very thin...not reddish.
Red maple
I can pull two pieces from my stack and send pics.

So, if it is Beech, what should I expect for drying time? Would it be closer to Maple or more like Red Oak?

Thanks for everybody's input on what type of wood this is. It is appreciated.

CW

I'm going to say 'not beech' because of the coloring and grain of the splits.

You don't have pics of any of the leaves or stem buds, do you? Beech is really identifiable by that, since the usual bark check isn't clear.

@ConbatChris, sadly I don't have any of the leaves or stem buds. It was just a pile of rounds and a couple of larger limbs on the side of the road. I got lucky and saw them the day after it was cut down.
CW

You can easily get Red maple below 20% in one year. Beech is heavier and denser, if you split medium sized splits you can get it to 17% in a year. Bigger splits take more time.
Its a balanced trade off for heat given off when you go to burn. If you need the wood right away split small and pray that its maple.

also mine burned "okay" after 1 year, but great after 2

Status
Not open for further replies.