Wood ID, Big pile of wood , what is it ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Ran across this stuff next to a church, bunch of trees cut down piled up, no one around to ask owns property,but want to know if it's worth inquiring further.

IMG_20130322_094610.jpgIMG_20130322_094624.jpgIMG_20130322_094630.jpg

I think it's walnut and yes, I would go for it.

fv

I would say walnut also.

Walnut. Go get it.

3x black walnut. Not the best. Makes a lot of ash, medium heat. Great for turnings, carvings etc...

In the background, on the first photo, I believe I see some red oak.

Black Walnut. Give off good heat, and as stated, lots of ash. The ash is very fine & compacts down so not a real big deal.

Black Walnut. Go grab it ASAP

Walnut. One of my favorites because of the aroma. Burns like maple.

Black walnut. Give it two years, it will burn after one but not all that well.

I thought it might be walnut, no matter :( went back ,found someone at the church , they said the property belongs to that church, and who ever had cut the stuff down is suppose to come back n finish , bummer there is about 10 cord of wood laying in that lot in piles

That pile does not look like a pile that any firewood person created. May be worth leaving contact information in a ziploc bag on a log, or track down that person. It just doesn't look like wood that someone intended on using for firewood. Also, let the church know your interested in cleaning up the big stuff and leave your info there too. Many a person has started a project/job and not returned to finish. Some guys figure once they have started to make the mess, the owner will not hireor allow another person to touch it. That may be true for some time, but not forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.