Wood ID- Black Birch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
Central PA
Have a lot of this growing in my woods. Posted a pic of the tree 6 months ago before I cut it down. Some thought it was Black Birch. Maybe can tell better once it is split. Hoping it is black birch. Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 423
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 429
humpin iron said:
yep black birch smells nice don't it

Yep, hope it smells that nice burning in the firepit this summer? Some BTU charts have it around White Oak. It a nice wood I guess. I never burned it before.

That's Black Birch alright, also known around here as "Cherry" Birch. Very good stuff, ignites easily, burns lively, heats well, smells great. Good score!

WoodButcher calls it "stink wood" AKA "Cherry"
Every batch I split has a nice twist in it. I burn that stuff early if possible and leave the higher btu's for Jan/Feb.

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
WoodButcher calls it "stink wood" AKA "Cherry"
Every batch I split has a nice twist in it. I burn that stuff early if possible and leave the higher btu's for Jan/Feb.

WB

Interesting. Every BTU chart I could find has BB as high as white oak.

Interesting. Every BTU chart I could find has BB as high as white oak.[/quote]

I wouldn't agree with that. Black Birch throws real good heat but burns faster than White Oak would. I'd say that BB isn't that far from White Oak, but the Birch part of it makes it burn faster. Either way its still good fuelwood.

PA. Woodsman said:
Interesting. Every BTU chart I could find has BB as high as white oak.

I wouldn't agree with that. Black Birch throws real good heat but burns faster than White Oak would. I'd say that BB isn't that far from White Oak, but the Birch part of it makes it burn faster. Either way its still good fuelwood.[/quote]

Oh don't get me wrong, cherry burns real good .....nice and hot.
Filling the Oslo though with Pignut Hickory kinda spoils a fella into packing it with Cherry that's all....burn what ya got!

WB

Status
Not open for further replies.