Wood ID - black stains on splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unknowingLEE said:
ICY99 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say White Ash.

BINGO!!!!!!!
YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
WOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!
May I suggest the prize behind door 3.
lol

Never saw the leaves - so we are betting on white ash or honey locust. How well does ash burn?

Yes Chief, that is me. The picture was taken last April. The wood in the picture is white ash.

I'm going with white ash based on a) the bark, b) ease of splitting (i.e. knife through butter), c) the coloration of the wood as ash seems to yellow up a bit once it seasons and d) I have white ash that looks exactly like this with the black sploches in the picture . . . which I'm thinking could be mold (which is so very surprising considering how dry and rain-free this past Spring and Summer were ;).

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes Chief, that is me. The picture was taken last April. The wood in the picture is white ash.

It's always nice to see the person you talk to. Except in the case of Bigg_Redd ;-P

I was going to say Norway Maple but it seems a little silly to disagree with Lee and Dennis.

Backwoods Savage said:
I know it is difficult but compare the pictures.

Denny-April2009h.gif

Your wood stacks look amazing. good job.

wendell said:
I was going to say Norway Maple but it seems a little silly to disagree with Lee and Dennis.

Yeah, I get humbled by them on occasion.

Thank you greythorn3.

Jags, we also get humbled by you from time to time. Tis a good thing methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.