Wood ID by Bark ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Found a good amount of wood that fell from the recent storm here in Connecticut.....not sure of what species.....from what I see, looks like a Maple type Leaf....but the Bark looks like Shagbark Hickory....all flaky. I'm terrible when it comes to ID'ing a tree, but I can tell ya, what ever it is, It's hard enought to dull my chainsaw after 2 cuts. I also gotta tell ya, my chainsaw is a 36cc, 16inch Craftsman, with a new Oregon Chain....wanted to get a Stihl Farm Boss, took the money out of the bank for it, but the Wife used it for something else :roll:

Take a look through this list of trees. Try to guess first to narrow it down. It may help you out. Conn. has a lot of the same kinds of tree as listed on the link.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/5361/default.aspx

I can't help you with your wife's spending habits though.

Cheers.

Silver maple gets shaggy.

Sugar maple gets a shaggy bark as it gets big.

+1. If it is a big tree, with maple looking leaves, is hard on the saw, and feels darn heavy, I would vote sugar maple.

DSCN1997.jpg

I just noticed a branch with what looks like a Maple Leaf.....but that bark looks pretty "shaggy"

There is mostly good size branches that came down.....could probably get a truck load or two out of it.....about 14 inches across, but 6 feet long....it's just beatin' the heck outa my saw

Looks like black or aka swamp oak,excellent wood if thats it.

That leaf in that picture is Whit oak leaf the bark is White Oad, I think I just went out and looked at one of mine and they apear to be the same maybe back up a little and get a picture.

Hmmmmm....maybe I should make a trip back there and grab more :eek:hh:

Thanks for the pics Matt....got a union meeting tomorrow (I'm the Pres., gotta be there), then hopefully that stuff is still there for me to pick at....also took my dog for a ride today and scouted out some Ash....I believe. Pretty much Oak, Maple and Ash around my area, mixed in with a little Pine.....a lot of it on the ground in peoples yards since the storm blew thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.