Wood ID- Central Iowa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GUSTA

Jun 17, 2010
Central Iowa
Hello!
I live in Des Moines, Iowa... I aquired a load of rounds the other day and I don't know what species of wood it is. It is yellowish in color and has a grain pattern similar to Oak, it splits easily and has a unique odor- leathery and yeasty smelling. See attached pic. Thanks in advance! I know it is not Osage Orange...
I also know that woodpeckers really liked this tree.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_2.jpg
    IMG_0001_2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 475
Do you have any shots of the bark? How wide is that middle split? From the grain it looks pretty fast growing but pictures are typically deceiving.

GUSTA said:
Hello!
I live in Des Moines, Iowa... I aquired a load of rounds the other day and I don't know what species of wood it is. It is yellowish in color and has a grain pattern similar to Oak, it splits easily and has a unique odor- leathery and yeasty smelling. See attached pic. Thanks in advance! I know it is now Osage Orange...

White Oak.

Are these 3 pieces from the same tree? The first two have grain like Oak as you said; the third one on the far right looks like Mulberry to me. Show the bark for proper ID please...

GUSTA said:
Hello!
I live in Des Moines, Iowa... I aquired a load of rounds the other day and I don't know what species of wood it is. It is yellowish in color and has a grain pattern similar to Oak, it splits easily and has a unique odor- leathery and yeasty smelling. See attached pic. Thanks in advance! I know it is now Osage Orange...
Mulberry

Thanks guys,
I know it is not white oak, the bark is semi-smooth, not oak-like, I will get a pic tomorrow. All three splits are from the same tree and they are about 4-5 inches wide. This wood has a very distinct odor to it... leather is the best way to describe it. The grain pattern looks a lot like ash too.
Thanks again.

I am on a differnt computer and the color better I would say the mulberry crowd is on it!

Here is a pic of the unsplit rounds, they are about 14" across, also a shot of the bark.
Thanks!

Attachments

• wood_id2_0002.jpg
    wood_id2_0002.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 318
  • wood_id2_0001.jpg
    wood_id2_0001.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 315
Hmmm...those pictures don't look like Mulberry to me-at least not the kind that I get around here. Oh boy....

I am sure it is not mulberry, the lady that gave it to me said that it dropped a ton of leaves in the fall... she didn't know what kind of tree it was but I am sure she would have mentioned berries.

Still looks like Mulberry to me, my mulberry trees will drop all there leaves at once still green some years. Usuall the ends are more a brown but that may be the computer, the bark looks about right.

oldspark said:
Still looks like Mulberry to me, my mulberry trees will drop all there leaves at once still green some years. Usuall the ends are more a brown but that may be the computer, the bark looks about right.

Ok Old sparky if its not mulberry I will go withe oak! lol

smokinjay said:
oldspark said:

What do I know I am from Iowa. :lol:

oldspark said:
smokinjay said:
oldspark said:

What do I know I am from Iowa. :lol:

Yea here in Indiana all we have is corn....

That Grain sure looks like oak.

It looks a little different than the other honey locust I have but seems to be about the same density, regardless of the species it was free and I am sure it will burn nice. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.