Wood ID for a Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
I received a load of rounds from a tree service. All free, so I can't complain. When the guy dropped it off, he told my wife it was "mostly cherry". I've looked through this stuff, and there is definitely SOME black cherry in there, but it is mostly what you see in the attached pictures.

I'm new to the wood heating/wood ID game, so was hoping to get your collective wisdom on this ID. It looks very different from black cherry. I suppose it could be another type of cherry tree, but I'm not familiar with any others.

Unfortunately, I have no leaves or other evidence to go on. I can tell you it splits relatively easily and fresh splits have a nice, almost sweet smell.

Any thoughts? Trying to figure out how long I need to season this stuff so I can organize my stacks. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0176.JPG

I see Ash. Split small and loosely stacked my stuff from last year was in the low 20's after only 3 months (stacked in early August). I mixed it with my drier wood and it burned great.

Its Ash, and Cherry and Ash can be stacked together. They grow together, um...Ash is slightly denser and takes a full year (to my tastes) Cherry is a shorter drying wood.
But they are very similar and can be stacked together. Ash is a little better for heat output, I think too.
It looks like Green ash which does take a little longer than white, but some people may never notice that detail.

He may have told you it was Cherry because Ash has a restriction (if its infected with EAB) in some areas. In NY it cant be moved any further than 50 miles from where it is harvested.

Ash is slightly denser and takes a full year (to my tastes)
I'm with you, 'sis. I should have noted in my post that I'd not have touched it had I not still been working up to getting ahead. I still have a bunch left from that same pile that will be in great shape for this year.

I'm with you, 'sis. I should have noted in my post that I'd not have touched it had I not still been working up to getting ahead. I still have a bunch left from that same pile that will be in great shape for this year.
Great! Thanks to both of you. I will split and stack accordingly.

Look at the center of the cutside on one of those Ash rounds, and you should see a little "pinhole" that Ash seems to have. You can use this to identify Ash in the future. I have seen that pinhole on a few others, Hickory once I believe, but it seems to hold pretty true that if it is there it is most likely Ash.

Good score on some quick-drying woods. :cool: I'm gonna say Green Ash even though I've only ever seen White. Green is supposed to be about the same BTU as Cherry, White is closer to Red Oak.

Look at the center of the cutside on one of those Ash rounds, and you should see a little "pinhole" that Ash seems to have. You can use this to identify Ash in the future. I have seen that pinhole on a few others, Hickory once I believe, but it seems to hold pretty true that if it is there it is most likely Ash.
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.