Wood ID for Fun and Profit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenalDon

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Meadow Valley, CA
This is just for fun folks....This tree is not the most common up here but I thought I would make a fun ID contest for fun....the winner gets a free subscription to the best Heating site on earth...Hearth.com.

photo(3).JPG photo.JPG

Clues:
1. Finish Carpenters should know this wood
2. Expect to find this at over 4000 feet in elevation out west.
3. I included some foliage in photos

Point system:
Correct answer for Hard or Soft Wood = 1pt
Exact Species = 5pts

Last edited by a moderator:
Going with softwood ... looks like a pine of some sort but since we are on opposite coasts I would have no idea of what species.

Soft Wood.....Spruce ?

If the cones are 8" my guess is Western white pine, otherwise Jeffery pine.

Looks like a 5-needle pine, so I'd guess western white pine, especially with the "finish carpenter" clue. Never seen the tree but have been told it's a dead give-away for eastern WP.

Sugar pine.
DIng.Ding.Ding.Ding.Ding......Folks we have a winner!!

Thank you to the good folks at Hearth.Com for providing our prize today....you have Won a free subscription to Hearth.Com!!

There is a disease called Blister Rust that is hitting the Sugar Pine up here...stinks cause it is such a beautiful tree and makes great trim wood

Reactions: blazincajun
I read a quote somewhere from an old naturalist, perhaps John Muir, who said that if the Giant Sequoias weren't there the Sugar Pines in the Sierra would deserve their own national park. There are some giant Sugar Pines up around Sequoia National Park.

Sugar pine..hmm...bought 3 pine cones from a guy who owned a hardware store up north. they averaged 18-19" long.
They are part of my treasured christmas decorations. He told me he had no knowledge of which pines they came from.
I wonder if they are sugar pine cones.

Sugar pine..hmm...bought 3 pine cones from a guy who owned a hardware store up north. they averaged 18-19" long.
They are part of my treasured christmas decorations. He told me he had no knowledge of which pines they came from.
I wonder if they are sugar pine cones.
I have a few cones also. I was told they were sequoias. About 14 inches.

Amazing to watch posts transform...probably time to close this one out...hope you all that participated enjoyed it...I had fun with it.

Winner, winner chicken dinner. Say goodnight Gracie.

Reactions: ArsenalDon
Status
Not open for further replies.