Wood ID: Guy said it was elm... but what kind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan125

Nov 18, 2013
idaho
Bought a truck load of this wood for twenty bucks, freshly fallen, green.
Guy said it was elm, I have other elm and the color it different. Almost dark in center like walnut and this stuff split with a maul like a dream. My other elm was a pain.

What kind of elm is this and is it worth the price?

Attachments

• possibly elm.JPG
    possibly elm.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 241
  • possibllyelm2.JPG
    possibllyelm2.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 233
Really looks more like black walnut.

Siberian Elm. Much too light for walnut.

Reactions: jeff_t and HDRock
The split sure looks like walnut. Walnut would split easy. If it is elm it is Siberian.

I could definitely be wrong.. as I usually am.. The bark is fuzzy and hard to see in the pics..

looks like the 2 cord of walnut i used this year that i got from a guy up the street and it had walnuts on it when it came down.

looks like the 2 cord of walnut i used this year that i got from a guy up the street and it had walnuts on it when it came down.

The interior I could agree with. Its that bark that tells me "no" to walnut.

A lot of dark heart wood in it says Siberian Elm. definitely not Walnut

That dark heartwood is super duper wet, and will lighten up to darn near white when it dries out some. Siberian elm, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.