Wood I'd help. new pics posted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitter9

Oct 10, 2013
central jersey
image.jpg image.jpg The picture isn't great but I scrounged quit a bit of this wood. The rounds haven't been split yet and they seem very heavy for their size. Some of the bark is falling off and it's like paper peeling off under it. More pics to follow after it's split.

Could be ash, but this is one case where a blurry pic of the bark just isn't going to narrow it down enough. Clear images of the end grain at the very least, the split surfaces even better, will help a lot.

need better pics

yeah, kinda blurry. At first I thought it was my eyes haha

Better pics coming after work.

I see poplar. Split one so we can see the green streak!

I was thinking poplar too. I've been scrounging wood for many years. I never cared about what spicies it was , as long as it was dry. That all changed since I found this site. Now I have to I. D. Every piece that goes into my stacks. My wife thinks I'm nuts

Hickory ash or poplar?

Burr oak has acorns the size of golf balls.

Looks like ash but Ill reserve my final call until clearer pictures are posted.

The peeling paper under the bark sounds like tulip poplar.

Now it looks like punky norway maple. As worthless as poplar in its current state.

Tuliptree (yellow poplar)

Last picture has a split resting on a red oak round.

Last edited:
I think it is either Norway Maple or Ash, and it is punky (partially rotten). If it splits, I'd keep it. If it is too soft to split, don't bother keeping it.

I think it is either Norway Maple or Ash, and it is punky (partially rotten). If it splits, I'd keep it. If it is too soft to split, don't bother keeping it.

It split good. Didn't fall apart. I'll stack it separately from my good stuff in the shoulder wood stack.

Norway maple, way past good firewood.

poplar

100% tulip poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.