Wood Id (Help...) (Pretty please?...)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjames

Sep 9, 2010
Upstate NY
Is this Cottonwood?

I have access to 3 trees one of which is HUGE.

I'm afraid it is cottonwood, and don't know if it is worth my time?

Attachments

• IMG00309.jpg
    IMG00309.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG00352.jpg
    IMG00352.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 401
Additional pics...

Attachments

• IMG00353.jpg
    IMG00353.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG00354.jpg
    IMG00354.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG00357.jpg
    IMG00357.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 404
SIgh, do I have you all stumped, or was it something I said?

Bark looks reasonable for cottonwood, and looks like pretty wide growth rings from what I can see - not positive though - don't worry, others will chime in soon! Cheers!

The bark looks like cottonwood, but I've never processed one so I'm not familiar with the wood. I think the fact that one of them is huge is a good clue. Cottonwoods are big water wasters.. they soak up a lot and the ones that I've seen grow, on the edge of ponds or swamps.

That could be cottonwood but that one round in the last picture looks like a cherry. But if that came from the same tree, no, it is not a cherry.

Please bear in mind that wood is difficult to identify in pictures, or at least it is for me.

If it is cottonwood, you still may not be wasting your time. Cottonwood is great for spring and fall burning. It burns hot but fast. Seasons rather quickly too even if the sap is dripping when you cut it, which it usually is.

Backwoods Savage said:
That could be cottonwood but that one round in the last picture looks like a cherry. But if that came from the same tree, no, it is not a cherry.

Please bear in mind that wood is difficult to identify in pictures, or at least it is for me.

If it is cottonwood, you still may not be wasting your time. Cottonwood is great for spring and fall burning. It burns hot but fast. Seasons rather quickly too even if the sap is dripping when you cut it, which it usually is.

yeah they are fromt eh same tree, and I just got a call from my bro-in-law.

He's got a neighbor with a tree down.

Thinks it's cottonwood.... lol

I guess you can't argue too much with "Free" ??

double j said:
Is this Cottonwood?

I have access to 3 trees one of which is HUGE.

I'm afraid it is cottonwood, and don't know if it is worth my time?

hmmm...could be sasafrass.

got a leaf or two ??

or...

look at a twig and search on 'leaf scars'.

I am thinking cotton!

Looks like Cottonwood. They do grow fast and huge. If I was desperate I'd take it, but I'm 3 years ahead with mostly Oak.

Yes and when they say the tree is huge, that alone makes it sound like cottonwood. It will burn and burn hot but won't burn as long as the better hardwoods. Many folks only have cottonwood to burn and get along just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.