Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
I found a scrounge and am not sure the type of wood. I really need to learn to ID wood in the near future. Its not too heavy. There were not branches/leaves/needles around and the owner did not know what kind of tree it was. I split a piece and it split fairly easily but seemed very wet. Is this how pine feels when split? Any help would be great to determine whether or not to pick it up.

IMAG0287_zps3f3a9cce.jpg

IMAG0286_zps9e928796.jpg

IMAG0285_zpsfe4843a2.jpg

Looks like pine to me.

It looks like the famous "Free BTU Wood" it can be hard to find but will usually burn good once properly dried. Some times of the year it is better then others to burn!

Gary

Looks punky too.
My guess is some kind of evergreen/pine.

Thats what I was thinking, thanks a lot for the responses

Aspen! And it is way to far gone.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Agree with nrford but call it popple. That last picture really gives it away. I would pass on it.

I agree it looks punky and looks like aspen. punky popple would be near the bottom of my firewood christmas wish list. if it were dry and free and nearby, I might take it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.