Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newschool

Nov 1, 2012
I picked up a half cord of this split over the summer. Free, but still seems a bit wet (averages 26% on the mm when re splitting now).

I'm new so still trying to get handle on wood species. Any help would be great! image.jpgimage.jpg

Red oak, does it smell kind of funky?

Red oak with a punky layer. Excellent wood. Can't believe you don't notice the aromatic smell when split.
Stack it punky side up to dry it out.

It came split, so I only re-split a few pieces recently to test with my MM. I was hoping to use this at the end of the season, but now knowing this is oak means that is unlikely...

Hum... I thought I posted on this thread yesterday. I guess sometimes it is good to check to see if you've clicked on that "Post Reply" button. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.