Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo's Dad

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
Canton, CT
I'm in ct and I am not 100% sure of these two species. One I think is birch,,, the tree is still oozing 3 weeks after I cut it.. The other I think is silver maple? image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Looks like black birch to me, hard to tell from just one pic but I would agree that middle does look like maple.

Birch and Soft Maple, you got 'em Enzo!

Birch and Soft Maple, you got 'em Enzo!
I have a lot of black birch , maple ... And not to brag a boat load of red oak . I took down two more black birch... A real pain to split

Ye
I have a lot of black birch , maple ... And not to brag a boat load of red oak . I took down two more black birch... A real pain to split
Yes, black birch can be unfriendly to split. It also rots out instantly if you let it get damp. Other than that it is primo wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.