Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJP1234

Burning Hunk
Mar 19, 2015
Greensboro, MD
wood1.jpg wood2.jpg wood3.jpg All - I found a huge pile of this freshly cut on a powerline right of way yesterday, literally the largest pile I have ever seen.... Probably enough for 200 cords honestly.... I'm just wrapping up my first year burning as we moved into a new home and installed an insert so I am not expert at this. I have lots of Pignut and Shagbark Hickory on my acerage, but this was already cut and in rounds and I can pull up right to it for quick easy loading. My buddy said from the pic's it looks like Poplar, which I know isn't the most preferred wood... Can you help verify it's species? Thanks.

If you need dry wood for next winter, that Tulip will dry quicker than Hickory, but it doesn't burn real long...

I'd pick up all the Tulip rounds I could get. It isn't as dense as Hickory, but you it is well worth the effort, especially since it is in rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.