Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnydinero

Dec 16, 2014
New York state
Need help to ID this wood. New York state. Friend told me it was ash. Not sure about that though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 192
Maybe green ash

At first I was going to say poplar, but looking at the new pics....don't know. Could be ash.

Are the splits very light in terms of weight? I have gone through a lot of ash and it seems to be pretty steady in terms of weight. Green and seasoned seem to weigh basically the same. Pretty sure due to low water content to begin with.
Polar in the other hand.....

At first I was going to say poplar, but looking at the new pics....don't know. Could be ash.

Are the splits very light in terms of weight? I have gone through a lot of ash and it seems to be pretty steady in terms of weight. Green and seasoned seem to weigh basically the same. Pretty sure due to low water content to begin with.
Polar in the other hand.....

It feels a little on the light side. It's pretty green right now. Poplar good to burn? Reading mixed reviews. I just don't want to burn any pine etc.

At first I was going to say poplar, but looking at the new pics....don't know. Could be ash. Are the splits very light in terms of weight? I have gone through a lot of ash and it seems to be pretty steady in terms of weight. Green and seasoned seem to weigh basically the same.
Yeah, Tulip sometimes has that light-gray color in the bottom of the bark fissures, but the bark doesn't look right. I was saying Green Ash specie, as opposed to White Ash, not green, wet wood. :) The split face Donny posted in #7 looks pretty smooth. White Ash I see here is usually a little more grainy. I would think Green would be a bit lighter in weight, based on the BTU rating of 23.6 for White, 20 for Green.
001.JPG 003.JPG

I think it is Poplar - Bigtooth Aspen, or maybe Eastern Cottonwood which is very similar. I don't think the bark looks like Ash, and there is a stringiness in some of the splits that makes me think Poplar. At least it isn't pine.

Reactions: Applesister
It feels a little on the light side. It's pretty green right now. Poplar good to burn? Reading mixed reviews. I just don't want to burn any pine etc.

I'll burn poplar . . . but if given the choice I usually opt to burn pine over poplar . . . personal choice mostly.

Its Big Toothed Aspen.
And it looks like Aspen, the other post from the other guy is hard to tell. The possible Tulip tree.
I'll post pics of Green Ash, with leaves.
It looks exactly like White Ash wood. Bark is more even and finer fissured.
I'll post babies and adult trees.
And some splits.
The difference is in the seeds and leaflet stems and hair on the leaves.

Reactions: Woody Stover
And it looks like Aspen
Yeah, the bark isn't really saying Tulip to me, but the olive color in the center of the split is. Does Aspen have that?

Donny, can you put your stove make and model in your sig? I don't like to burn Pine in my cat stoves, except for kindling, but I'd burn it in a tube stove. It will dry pretty quick if you need wood for this winter. Now, folks out west burn Pine through their cats and don't report problems...

Last edited:
Pine is fine to burn once ready!!

Reactions: Donnydinero
Donny, can you put your stove make and model in your sig? I don't like to burn Pine in my cat stoves, except for kindling, but I'd burn it in a tube stove. It will dry pretty quick if you need wood for this winter. Now, folks out west burn Pine through their cats and don't report problems...

I got an upland 27. Thanks for the help everyone.still learning the ins and outs of different types of wood. I came into this wood from landlord.

That split looks eerily similar to mine I posted a few days ago. A lot of people say Tulip Poplar, the seller said Ash.

That split looks eerily similar to mine I posted a few days ago. A lot of people say Tulip Poplar, the seller said Ash.
Except your split has the characteristic "olive/yellow/purplish/greenish" heartwood seen in Tulip Poplar and this wood does not...

Reactions: Applesister
Neighbor next to me has a mature green ash (yard tree) and bark looks similar. They're green ash looks nothing like the white ash I've cut.

Except your split has the characteristic "olive/yellow/purplish/greenish" heartwood seen in Tulip Poplar and this wood does not...
Oops, I got confused with the other thread which had a light olive streak in the middle of the split. ;em

I don't know much about wood I am trying to learn, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.