Wood id help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtstromsburg

Nov 15, 2014
Nebraska
New to all this... I bought a 1899 home with a wood burner, but won't be moving in till April. So I'm trying to get ahead for next winter and years to come. I'm cutting dead or dead/down wood in s shelter belt near the town I live in and most of it is ash. I came across something else today and THINK it's locust? 55b7a018693f85175c5951efabbc6a98.jpgace4ea973a868e8f3f78e22f762b20d9.jpg5a919d8f294b0af1aabb7984d8f62790.jpg this last pic of a standing tree isn't what I cut but it was right beside and I think the same.
Thanks for any help! Loved cutting on this cold day in central Nebraska

Reactions: Applesister
Color looks more like cherry to me. Maybe an oak, but cant see any rays. And seems to have a bit too much punk for black locust. Not sure about honey. Any bark pics?

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Also any thorns detectable on smaller twigs/branches.

The only bark pic is the tree I left standing. I'm sure they're the same. I thought about thorns as well, as most locust around here is thorny honey. I didn't notice any thorns on these trees, but some saplings in the same rows had thorns. I should've got more pics. It's 20f out so tried to stay busy working.
Thanks!

Ok. Well if they are the same then its deff not cherry. Bark looks very much like the thornless honey locust we have around my area. If so bannana size black seed pods should be found on the ground. Doesn't look like red oak in my area, but iif it is some sort of variety a leaf or two should be still hanging on the tree. Any moisture readings?

There are tons of seed pods laying around do I know there's locust in the rows. I didn't check moisture yet. I need to get a mm for Christmas [emoji106]

Well best guess is honey locust. Burns hot. Great score. Lowes has a good mm on sale this time of yr. Think the brand is "general". Stay warm.

Looks exactly like the thornless locust we have around here as well

16fd62784a0629c75d8ad7a9178f4ed9.jpg
Went back and grabbed another trailer load. Only had a couple hours so cut all I could and went back with the little trailer. First time I used my truck to drag a "Widow Maker" out. It was close to 40' long, hung up at the top about 25' up and the stump was broke off 6' up. Usually I feel confident to start cutting at the stump and control the fall, but this beast was too big.
25degrees out and a fresh few inches of snow. My favorite cutting weather

Not much for woods around where I live. Just shelter belts. This one(about 80' deep) is on the property i work at, as maintenance for a school district.
So the trailer was next to the "woods"

Honey Locust! Cracks nicely when you split it. Great score!!

Looks like honey locust.

Status
Not open for further replies.