Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toomb

Oct 27, 2015
Rochester, ny
Don't know what this is. Wood was relatively light when green. The sapwood was a flourescent yellow....almost mustard like yellow when green. The bark is deep,and almost scale like. I initially thought it was butternut, but the heartwood is too dark and too hard to be butternut. The tree came out of a park so it may not be native to western ny. Thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 287
Kinda looks like Mulberry but the bit I have is buried in the stacks where I can't get a look at the bark, correction from other threads not Mulberry

Don't know what this is. Wood was relatively light when green. The sapwood was a flourescent yellow....almost mustard like yellow when green. The bark is deep,and almost scale like. I initially thought it was butternut, but the heartwood is too dark and too hard to be butternut. The tree came out of a park so it may not be native to western ny. Thoughts? Thanks

Beats me...sorry

bob

I live up here in the Roc as well. I have pulled wood like that off the side of the road on occasion. I believe it is some kind of ornamental. Dry it and burn it!

Sassafras? Just guessing on this one. That bark is very unique.

Got some stuff around that the bark while gray looks like it has popcorn glued to it- it is a hard relatively dense wood almost white internally. thin bark. burns well. as this is the 3rd cpu this year pics are lacking -sorry- getting expensive with stuff blowing off the walls- course the utility denies any problems ( yea -right)

I don't know what that is but that is some of the funkiest bark I've ever seen! Like Blades said the grain reminds us of Mulberry, but that bark, well I have no idea! Wild stuff, this should be a good challenge to i.d. it !

This stuff is mulberry. That is something very different.
Noodled_Crotch-800_zps5wjomws7.jpg

Stump-800_zpsrb3nazkt.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
looks nothing like mulberry.... also mulberry is extremely heavy when it is green, not light as the OP described, it's almost got a wierd chinese chestnut look to it.

Toomb, What park did it come out of? Many of the parks around here were planted with exotics from all over the world. Highland park would be a great example, virtually every tree has a plate on it saying what it is and where it came from. If one of those died, or branches were cut off, it may be something none of us has ever seen!!

It is not Sassafras or Red Pine, in fact it is not anything I am familiar with. I'd say that some exotic tree is a good guess. It will burn, I reckon.

I am guessing exotic then. It is not sassafras or red pine. The heartwood is a chocolate brown and the sapwood was literally French's Mustard yellow when it was green. I know i said it was light, but it is much denser than I thought it would be. ( i passed up a lot more because i didn't think it was worth it) Regardless, it burns great! Thanks for your efforts, guys.

I agree. not a native. but it looks like a decent hardwood. its going to be difficult to ID an exotic without any leaves. and "light" is a relative term when referring to the weight, and doesn't give you any indications of the BTU's. Look at American Holly, i consider it very "light" when dry, yet it has one of best btu's around.

Cherry?

I think it's Amur corktree, Phellodendron amurense, which is an ornamental that is known to escape and become invasive in places. The bark should be spongy if you press on it. They produce tons of dark purple berries that the birds spread to the four corners of the earth.

Reactions: CincyBurner
I think it's Amur corktree, Phellodendron amurense,
+1 for Amur corktree, Philodendron amurense - That was my initial thought when I saw the bark, but wood seemed darker. Then I reread OP's post. Sorry should have read it more carefully when it that said that wood was "flourescent yellow....almost mustard like yellow". Yes, that + the bark really narrows it down.
Leaves of corktree reminds me of ash but with alternate branch/ twig arrangement. And the fruit is a dead giveaway, unless you have a male (the species is dioecious).
Let us know how it burns, but I'm thinking probably not that great ?

I think it's Amur corktree, Phellodendron amurense, which is an ornamental that is known to escape and become invasive in places. The bark should be spongy if you press on it. They produce tons of dark purple berries that the birds spread to the four corners of the earth.

That's it! It actually burns pretty well.....wish i had more of it. But it really would make beautiful lumber....chocolate brown wood with tight, straight grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.