Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heres a bark pic

Attachments

• maple_rd_brk_sm.jpg
    maple_rd_brk_sm.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 224
  • red-maple.jpg
    red-maple.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 225
I think the one on the right is the winner. Red Maple it is. I went back yesterday to look again. It looks like there might be more than one tree there. It is hard to tell. It fell across the road, and the town cut it and pushed it to the side in a big pile. I guess I'll be burning some Red Maple next year? Is it going to be ready with only one summer cut, split, and stacked? I probably won't have to burn it until '11/'12, but it would be nice to know I have a reserve on hand.

Flatbedford said:
I think the one on the right is the winner. Red Maple it is. I went back yesterday to look again. It looks like there might be more than one tree there. It is hard to tell. It fell across the road, and the town cut it and pushed it to the side in a big pile. I guess I'll be burning some Red Maple next year? Is it going to be ready with only one summer cut, split, and stacked? I probably won't have to burn it until '11/'12, but it would be nice to know I have a reserve on hand.

Guys don't wanna bust bubbles but your pic on the right is Sugar Maple.
Judging buy the end of the main trunk, I doubt its Maple. Red Maple usually has a stain in the middle but no visible sapwood.
Maple fresh cut is usually is a whiter color but no visible sapwood. Take a closer look at the crown branches and the trunk.

Is it more than one tree you said?
I would wanna rule out White Oak since those crown branches look smooth, but the heartwood/sapwood match.
White oak bark is stringy sometimes and easy to ID.

I would rule out Maples because of the sapwood definition.......but then again...maybe 2 trees

separate the species... post more pictures.

I've included some samples of mine.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• REDMAPLE.jpg
    REDMAPLE.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 203
  • woodbutcher_white_oak.jpg
    woodbutcher_white_oak.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 222
  • maples_01.jpg
    maples_01.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 194
It could be White Oak too. I guess that whatever it is, it s surely worth the effort to get it home before somebody else does. It is less than a mile from home and on a very, very low traffic dirt road with plenty of room to park out of the way. Unfortunately, no day off until Sunday.

Does White Oak split as easy as Red Oak? I does season faster than red right?

Flatbedford said:
Does White Oak split as easy as Red Oak? I does season faster than red right?

Splits pretty well, White Oak is just as bad as red in the seasoning dept. 18 months....more the better.
Had some this year 24+ months....burned real nice.

WB

If I get my act together, it should have at least 18 months. Two full summers in full sun will help.

Here are some better pictures

Attachments

• IMG00186-20100307-1729.jpg
    IMG00186-20100307-1729.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG00188-20100307-1731.jpg
    IMG00188-20100307-1731.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG00190-20100307-1732.jpg
    IMG00190-20100307-1732.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 175
Flatbedford said:
Here are some better pictures

still looks like silver maple to me

I am not convinced that it is White Oak either. It doesn't look dense enough to me. Especially in the first picture where it is split. It has a much more open grain than I imagine Oak would.

The large tree is white oak oak the smaller tree underneath is maple. Down here white oak is seasoned in a summer shorter if the tree is already dead when bucked up, preferable to me is standing dead.

I am getting here late, but I think the larger tree is White Oak. The color of the wood and the bark both seem perfect for White Oak. White Oaks have a lot of variability in the shaggyness of the bark, but this bark certainly is within the natural range of shaggyness. The bark seems similar to Silver Maple, but the wood does not. I agree that there are probably two or more different trees in the pile. This was a large tree that fell in the woods, and it must have knocked over a bunch of smaller stuff.

Flatbedford said:
I am not convinced that it is White Oak either. It doesn't look dense enough to me. Especially in the first picture where it is split. It has a much more open grain than I imagine Oak would.

white oak when I first start on one I always thinks its silver maple....did this tuesday got almost a cord of white oak and didnt know it till it was split......I would have to say that is white oak!

Most smaller maples have a huge band of sapwood and a small heartwood core. Wood in the pics is opposite of that, so I'd rule out any type of maple. Hickory has a similar wide sapwood, so I'd eliminate that as well.

White oak would be my guess. Pretty easy to see on the end grain because of the very visible medullary rays. Oaks are about the only wood where the rays are clearly visible to the naked eye, but without a good closeup of the ends it's really hard to tell.

Confirmed. White Oak. I climbed up there and got my nose right up against it. No doubt Oak. If I can figure out how to skid it down the hill and onto the flatbed in log length, this could be the new decking for the truck's bed. I have a friend who owns an Alaskan Mill who can mill it for me. The tricky part will be getting it on the truck. I'll need it cut to 10' lengths. I do have gravity on my side.
maidenlaneoak.jpg

The picture doesn't show it, but this tree is way up from the road. the drop off is almost vertical right at the road. I might be able to get the truck right against the hill and slide the logs down the hill and onto the truck. I just have to make sure that I can control them enough not crush the truck. I have all kinds of rope, cable, chain, blocks, and another truck so I should be able to rig something. If I can't get it on the truck, I have a friend who's tree company owns a boom truck. Maybe if I get it on the side of the road, he can pck it up and bring it to my house for me. I all this proves to be too difficult, I can easily get it home in firewood size chunks.

Flatbedford said:
Confirmed. White Oak. I climbed up there and got my nose right up against it. No doubt Oak. If I can figure out how to skid it down the hill and onto the flatbed in log length, this could be the new decking for the truck's bed. I have a friend who owns an Alaskan Mill who can mill it for me. The tricky part will be getting it on the truck. I'll need it cut to 10' lengths. I do have gravity on my side.

Nice thinking, Flatbed. Everything doesn't have to end up in the stove. White oak heartwood is one of the most durable and rot-resistant domestic hardwoods, great choice for a truck bed. Go for it!

Wish I had a pic of my old Dodge Ram. I welded up a HD rack for the thing, but when I went to put it on I found that my measurements were just a tad off. The front overhang just grazed the top of the cab roof. I got two 4/4 pieces of white oak to use as spacers to shim it up. Poor man's "Woody". Looked pretty sharp on the black truck, actually, and it lasted ten years rot-free until the truck finally died.

Status
Not open for further replies.