Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburg

Jul 20, 2009
Central KY
I found an ad on Craigslist giving away wood from a 100 year old barrel barn. What type of wood is this? Last year was my first year burning wood and I couldn't find any seasoned wood. Right now I have about a cord of mixed ash and white oak which I cut in April. I am really hoping this is good wood because it is seasoned and there is a lot of it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0668.jpg
    DSC_0668.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 303
Hard to tell(any leaves :lol: ) but it could be oak, just make sure you do not let the fire get away from you as that stuff is going to burn hot and get there in a hurry.

Lburg said:
Do you think I should get as much of this as possible? Also, this wood is dulling my chainsaw blade very quickly.

its oak and keep sharpening your chain or buy a few back ups!

Lburg said:
Do you think I should get as much of this as possible? Also, this wood is dulling my chainsaw blade very quickly.
My guess is it will be very good to burn but it will be nice and dry so if you load up your stove keep on eye on it. Unless someone else has a problem I do not know about I would get all you can and be warm.

Looks like white oak. I would only mix that with other wood personally. Thats going to be the best wood you've ever had. I would also cross stack it off the ground. How much did you get?

I have about a cord. There probably is about another cord of the 4"x8" beams. There is a lot of piles of 2"x6"s and 2x4s. Hard to estimate. Would you all spend the time cutting 2x4s and 2x6s?

I would spend the time if it was me. You can cut the 2x4 and 2x6 on a chop saw and save your chains for the big stuff. All of that will stack really nice too..nice find

Lburg said:
I have about a cord. There probably is about another cord of the 4"x8" beams. There is a lot of piles of 2"x6"s and 2x4s. Hard to estimate. Would you all spend the time cutting 2x4s and 2x6s?
How long are the 4x8, they be worth something to some one for lumber, I bet they are nice looking, yes by all means take all you can get (2x4's, 2x6's 1x1's) you have found the mother load.

Unless its partially rotten or very short pieces, its worth more than firewood. Sell it by the board foot on CL.

Wow. What a great find!

Like oldspark stated, mix that with the other wood for best results. Do not fill the stove with all of that wood or you might have a run-a-way stove! But mixing with other wood will be great. I also agree that I'd get all you can get of all sizes.

I agree to that it very well might be worth more to sell rather than firewood.

All of the 4x8 have been cut to either 4' or 2' lengths so I don't think they would be worth much. It is all stacked and up off the ground. Some of the wood has started to rot but most of it is in good shape. I will post some pictures of what all is there.

Is it possible its kentucky coffee tree?

Do you own a chop saw? I use to buy left overs from a pallet company and used my chop saw to cut to proper length.

Status
Not open for further replies.