Wood Id / Hill Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Levantou said:
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear its red oak. I have time to wait for it to season properly. The one tree I had down by the before was red oak. The difference is that tree was much smaller than these and it was an absolute pain to get up the hill. There is actually more trees down there that I didn't mention in my previous post. I only picked the two biggest trees to post. There are 4-5 total. With the grade of the hill it would be nearly if not impossible to use a wheelbarrow. I also don't think I could get a splitter down there so I would need to use a maul on all of these trees. I was thinking about attaching a pulley high on a large tree towards the top of the hill that will allow me to get it 95% of the way up the hill (with a cable and truck) and then release the tension allowing me to pull it the rest of the way with another chain or rope. Does that make any sense? I've just never done something like this before. I was wondering if any of you have done something like this before and had success.

Way to much work, if you cant drap it up in sections. Its no joke when the traier is set-up next to the spliter. jmo If a 6 man crew.

Levantou said:
I was thinking about attaching a pulley high on a large tree towards the top of the hill that will allow me to get it 95% of the way up the hill (with a cable and truck) and then release the tension allowing me to pull it the rest of the way with another chain or rope. Does that make any sense?

Yep, sounds like you get the idea.

My plan is to cut them in sections before moving. My thought was trying 4' sections first and the go smaller if I need. The root system does seem shallow. I have white oak and red oak I can use at the top of the hill.

Jags said:
Levantou said:
I was thinking about attaching a pulley high on a large tree towards the top of the hill that will allow me to get it 95% of the way up the hill (with a cable and truck) and then release the tension allowing me to pull it the rest of the way with another chain or rope. Does that make any sense?

+1
just don't think your going to get away with some cheap pulley. You need something substantial 3-4T snatch block is a good size and will accomodate typical 3/8-1/2" rope.
You've got this hill there and in all likelyhood there will be more trees down in the future, so think of it as a long term investment, good blocks are fairly indestructible.
Before long you'll be yarding logs with best of em'

No doubt it going to be hard work. But it's doable with some planning & equipment can make it easier.
Gonna be some serious BTUs when yo get it CSS & seasoned for a couple years.
Nice pictures.
I use a Hay pulley to get logs to my trailer.
Big logs like you show in the pic may need a bigger pulley & shorter logs, but if you get the end up, they drag much easier.
I had the pulley up the tree as high as I could reach. I used my Pick-Up to pull. Big work /back saver.
I skidded them with the ATV to as far as I could then used the pulley to get them down the steep hill.
You'll figure something out, looks like a fun & rewarding challenge :)
Sky line & lots of cable/rope (like the big boys on "Axe men" do) :)
Some pic here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81498/

Attachments

• 100_6731.jpg
    100_6731.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 180
Jags said:
Levantou said:

Can I bring a chair and beer and watch?

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Levantou said:

Piece of cake, Jay. I would have had it done in less time than it took this thread to manifest.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Levantou said:

Piece of cake, Jay. I would have had it done in less time than it took this thread to manifest.

Heck then I got a couple. No hill no river just back right up to it.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Levantou said:

But yours is bigger than mine LOL :lol:
May have to cut yours off some. :bug:

to manageable 3 or 4 round lengths

bogydave said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Levantou" date="1330734773 said:

But yours is bigger than mine LOL :lol:
May have to cut yours off some. :bug:

to manageable 3 or 4 round lengths

When it comes to those oaks I would rather not be a part of it.......Seems I always get hook though. My back still hurts and not kidding about backing right up to it. Ask Chris or bocus78! :lol:
Whats dumber than a dead red oak? Me for cutting it.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 181
You getting "old" on us Jay? :lol: What part of that bugger is giving you trouble. Heck, ya got the saws to handle it. Drop a round, quarter it, and move along.

Jags said:
You getting "old" on us Jay? :lol: What part of that bugger is giving you trouble. Heck, ya got the saws to handle it. Drop a round, quarter it, and move along.

lol, all sounds like gravy but I know at-least 6 guys would say different! One on this tread boosting with a 660. Oh and another running an 880. Now quarter it up was just a fricken beast at 55inchs, but even the little splits are heavy as hell. I just say NO!

smokinjay said:
Now quarter it up was just a fricken beast at 55inchs, but even the little splits are heavy as hell. I just say NO!

Play'in with da big boys. And I only have a little bitty 361. :lol:

Full disclosure - the tree was dropped with a Mac110.

Attachments

• oak5.jpg
    oak5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 188
We have cottonwood that big,
A 20" birch or spruce is what I call big & the rounds are rollers. or split before lifting.
Hard to imaging how heavy a 16" round of a 50" + of Oak must be.
Be smart moving that stuff !!!
Nice pictures.

sorry to crash the OP, I still think his are doable with some planning, pulleys & rope :)

I understand it will be a lot of work. I don't mind that I just want to do it as safe as possible. I have been known as the guy "dumb enough to do anything" around here. I just don't want those words on my tombstone because something happened during this project :). I'm just looking for the safest and easiest way to do this. I haven't been cutting long enough to know the tricks of the trade.

Iv seen people use a winch before online to move trees. I understand there are different size winches out there but is it possible to try and use a winch on one truck while loading the other? I have never used a winch so I have no idea what to expect. I just don't want to purchase one and not be able to use it the way I would like to.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Now quarter it up was just a fricken beast at 55inchs, but even the little splits are heavy as hell. I just say NO!

How much help did you have and how long did it take? and how much did the 361 do? 361 would not have made it on my last two oaks. (I am a big fan of the 360's to)

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

How much help did you have and how long did it take? and how much did the 361 do? 361 would not have made it on my last two oaks. (I am a big fan of the 360's to)

I cut virtually every big round with the 361. Had to take 3 swings on the first few because the 25" bar didn't have the reach. All but the clean up was done in about 6 hrs. I did have 1 and a half groundies pulling brush, but they never touched a saw.

Please see fantastic art for a pictorial of "3 swings".

Attachments

• buttcut.jpg
    buttcut.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 172
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

I cut virtually every big round with the 361. Had to take 3 swings on the first few because the 25" bar didn't have the reach. All but the clean up was done in about 6 hrs. I did have 1 and a half groundies pulling brush, but they never touched a saw.

All balls out this one and its small one took 12-1/2 man hrs at 44inchs.

Attachments

• stance.jpg
    stance.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 162
Levantou said:
I understand it will be a lot of work. I don't mind that I just want to do it as safe as possible. I have been known as the guy "dumb enough to do anything" around here. I just don't want those words on my tombstone because something happened during this project :). I'm just looking for the safest and easiest way to do this. I haven't been cutting long enough to know the tricks of the trade.

Iv seen people use a winch before online to move trees. I understand there are different size winches out there but is it possible to try and use a winch on one truck while loading the other? I have never used a winch so I have no idea what to expect. I just don't want to purchase one and not be able to use it the way I would like to.
That's how you sell all the great gear to the wife.
-Honey it's safer to use an 880 on these big trees :coolsmile:

smokinjay said:

Jay, by "done", I mean all rounds cut and or quartered - on the ground. Maybe we are getting our terms mixed up.

I was severely whipped at that point and the loading and hauling had to come another day. (we did load one load in my trailer, but that was only one of many.)

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Jay, by "done", I mean all rounds cut and or quartered - on the ground. Maybe we are getting our terms mixed up.

Yea I am talking Done Done! Stack at home. Did I mention I hate oaks..... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.