wood id .. I am 99 % sure but ...Update !!! Split pick on page 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chvymn99 said:
SmokinJay, You have to Copy and paste that whole line in the address line.

I still get Not found!

Interesting. But I thought Gum trees had a twisty and elm like grain to them.

I have seen a sweet gum that was that dark right after cutting it down, it was a perfectly strait 36" tree. I think the bark better matches the black gum though. I do remember it lighting up alot when drying out, that would be a huge difference to walnut.

MMaul said:
Here is my reply I have seen some gum tree's very similar.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact pages/blackgum/blackgum.html

Call me when you find something like this! :cheese: Oh Thats You....lol Walnut everywhere. Had to plow the drive from the dust.

Attachments

• slab walnut.jpg
    slab walnut.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 200
smokinjay said:
MMaul said:

Call me when you find something like this! :cheese: Oh Thats You....lol Walnut everywhere. Had to plow the drive from the dust.

That there be one nice mantle.

Shawn

Jay, I believe I did call you for something just like that. LOL

shawneyboy said:
smokinjay said:
MMaul said:

Shawn

That was sold for a bar top it got cut down even with the top of the garage door. This is the finnish product.

Attachments

• walnut 1.jpg
    walnut 1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 172
smokinjay said:
shawneyboy said:
smokinjay said:
MMaul said:

Shawn

That was sold for a bar top it got cut down even with the top of the garage door. This is the finnish product.

Then that there be one nice bar..

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
smokinjay said:
shawneyboy said:
smokinjay said:
MMaul said:

Shawn

Then that there be one nice bar..

Shawn

Wish I had a pic of the guy when he pick it up! Priceless. I had 6 of them, that was the last one like that. Got 10- 30inchs wide that will be ready in the late fall.

Welp - after long consideration (okay - like 30 seconds), I'm calling it Black Walnut. I have cut mucho amounts of the stuff that looks just like that. The split confirmed it in my mind.

MMaul said:
Jay, I believe I did call you for something just like that. LOL

Not for a long time! We are do for a Monster!

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
Still sticking with walnut

To white to fight and to thin to win! lol Butternut! :cheese: Just because thats a bad example of black walnut! (if it is)

Here is example of black walnut sideway view. This is a yard bird and has more sap wood than a woods tree.

That looks coco brown and very white sapwood. I am about 50-50 on Id's so keep that in mind! :lol:

Still walnut. No two trees look exactly alike...this may be an odd looking walnut, but I still say walnut.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
Still sticking with walnut

To white to fight and to thin to win! lol Butternut! :cheese: Just because thats a bad example of black walnut! (if it is)

Here is example of black walnut sideway view. This is a yard bird and has more sap wood than a woods tree.

That looks coco brown and very white sapwood. I am about 50-50 on Id's so keep that in mind! :lol:

Still walnut. No two trees look exactly alike...this may be an odd looking walnut, but I still say walnut.

:cheese: Probally so...Its an odd duck for sure~

Thank you all for the confirmation...

Shawn

Shawn, I was hoping it would have turned out to be a mother load of hickory but walnut is not too shabby. Keep scrouging.

maxed_out said:
Shawn, I was hoping it would have turned out to be a mother load of hickory but walnut is not too shabby. Keep scrouging.

This is one tree in a large scrounge. It will end up, if I get it all, to probably be a 4-5 cord scrounge that is 5 minutes from my house, that only I have permission from property owner to get, and...... NO FELLING !! Area was cleared for construction. Most of it is White and Red Oak, which is our primary tree in this area. If I can get to it all, this will be 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 season wood.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
Most of it is White and Red Oak, which is our primary tree in this area.
I've got tons of Red but not much White. Mine just don't want to die. I know where there's a dead one and I might approach the guy later this year about getting it, but I've got a lot of other stuff to drop and process first...

Status
Not open for further replies.