wood id/is it worth taking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Got a bunch of this stuff about a block from my house, right off the road. Chainsaw went through pretty easily. Anyone know what it is? Unless it's real cramp, the ease of getting it is appealing.
tmp_23205-IMG_20170326_1336421462093345.jpg

Looks like Boxelder to me, pretty junky wood, OK for shoulder season, but don't expect too much.

hmm, might be right about the gum. I took a couple of whacks with the fiskars before I posted. Noticed that it didn't split easily. I already brought some back, so might as well try to split it. Looks like it has some btus and dries quickly. How does it dry without splitting? I could just let some rounds dry for next year maybe?

Unsplit sweet gum usually just rots instead of drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, tried to split this stuff. Holy crap, basically impossible. Made me wish for elm. Took me 45 minutes to split 6 rounds in half. Guess the gum guesses were right, though strange that I didn't see any gumballs when I collected it.

tmp_3029-IMG_20170401_140620603002549.jpg

Oh yeah. I see one there. Didn't notice them when I was getting the wood though. As an aside, the day after I split this stuff, I had one big round leftover from somewhere--thought it was oak. Was looking forward to redemption, until I realized that it also sucked. Yup, elm. Maybe that's why I hadn't split it earlier. Still better than the gum though.