Wood ID - Is this cherry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer7

Burning Hunk
Oct 20, 2008
CT
Got a few loads of this stuff from a relative that got a tree taken down...tree guy said it was a cherry but it doesn't look like the cherries I had in my yard and I didn't see any berries around anywhere.

wood.jpg

Yup. Dat be cherry.

The cherries these trees produce are very small. Most get eaten by coons, possom, birds and deer.

The bark doesn't quite look like the Black Cherry here...might be some other variety if it was a yard tree. Nevertheless, it is firewood. ::-)

Could be choke cherry but it burns good when dry

Its that platy looking bark on the more mature pieces, and the reddish wood. Split a piece open, I bet it smells great.

Might not be Black Cherry,but its definitely one of the species of Cherry.

Thanks for all the replies (and humor ;) )...I went back for another load tonight and some of the bigger pieces with the gnarled shingle-like bark did look more like cherry but I think it's a different variety than the one I had growing in the back. They also had a 3ft. round oak stump piece that I split with wedges. Unfortunately, they had that monster cut down and taken away a couple months ago before I found out about it. !!!<>

Wild Cherry is what I've always heard it called.

Attachments

• Mule 002.jpg
    Mule 002.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 454
Reactions: WeldrDave and ScotO
the cherries around here just up and die somewhere between the 8 and 12" mark.... I've got some cherry in the '14/'15 winter pile... but not a hell of a lot...

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like it could be a Mock Cherry Tree. Using the wood this year from one we cut down a couple years ago but let it sit there to rot until we got our stove this year. Going to cut up the rest of it this spring. It still needs to be CSS and seasoned at least another year.

OH YEA! SWEET! I don't know many woods, but thats it! Throw some on charcole grill or smoker if you cook out, does wonders on chicken and rib's.

Reactions: ScotO
No doubt about it....that'd be cherry for sure. Stuff smells like a fine pipe tobacco when burning. I haven't burned any in a couple years, but I love to be outside on a cold, snowy evening and smell the scent of burning cherrywood wafting in the air......

Reactions: WeldrDave
Status
Not open for further replies.