Wood ID/Is this scrounge worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I hope you are rockin. Can anyone ID what it is? Please advise, thanks. PS, northwest NJ.

Attachments

• mysterywood.jpg
    mysterywood.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 898
Red Oak from here

I say get it too. Since this winter sucked, you can bet next winter will be bad o(well maybe)

The picture is too small to tell what type of wood it is (for me at least) but it is definitely worth it. I think the piece with the Y in it in front looks like maple, the other stuff maybe Red Oak or cherry. In any case it is worth it.

Rule Number 1: Never pass up wood if you need it.
Rule Number 2: It may not be there when you go back.

Free wood is good wood !

Looks like most of it is Black Cherry to me. However the photo is very small and hard to tell for sure.

Can't tell what kind of tree it is from that pic, but the fact that you can drive right up to it makes it a very desirable species.

My money is on Black Cherry. Definitely worth it, no matter what wood it is.

Looks like it been rained on, Red Oak is my 1st guess, bark on the crotch round don't look like cherry.
A good hard wood & gonna need a big splitter or noodle it down on that crotch.
If you can load it, it would be worth it. Looks like some 200+ lb rounds.

If you load it up, it's "your" wood :)

I was going to say that if it were cherry, it would be one of the biggest cherry trees I have set eyes on. Then I recalled there is one on the farm across the street that was a solid 40 inches across. Went down years ago and is now all punked up. Huge tree. I still think that is red oak, all of it. Agree with all post here; easy gettin' is good gettin'.

Wood Duck said:
I think the piece with the Y in it in front looks like maple, the other stuff maybe Red Oak or cherry. In any case it is worth it.
Maple and Cherry looks like a good guess to me. Love dat Cheery! By all means, snap it up! :coolsmile:

One looks like red oak. Some look like cherry. Maybe some maple.

I'd grab all I could find room for.

The lighter colored one almost looks like honey locust. The other might be Bradford pear, or the light ones maple and the red stuff is the other two guesses ツ better pics please.

Looks like red oak to me.....

I'm not sure either. The bark doesn't look like oak or cherry to me...but what do I know.

kind of the gift horse thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.