Wood ID Is this what I think it is ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
This wood is looking good to me. ( that just does not sound right )

So what is it ? Could it be the good stuff ? 3K23F93Nb5I25Fc5Mad5n3b01f7acaec01c69.jpg

Black locust is the thick barked stuff. The rest kind of looks like red oak, but hard to tell from that picture.

Reactions: AmarilloSlim
Closer pictures and/or pictures of a split would be good. My guess is some type of hickory, mocker nut or pig nut. I say that because of the deep furrowed bark on the trunk going into a smooth bark on the less mature parts of the tree as well as the light sap wood and darker heart wood. Problem is those are common traits to a lot of trees. Shot in the dark. A second and third look seem to show two trees so maybe the one with the deeply furrowed bark is black locust and the other maybe maple.:rolleyes:

Definitely three trees in that pile, might even be 4. I'm not sure if all the wood on the right came from the trunk on the left.

This picture is all I have to go by. I to am thinking Black Locust for the deep furrowed bark tree the other to me looks like maple too me too but I am just a rookie when it comes to wood ID's . Thanks to this forum I am getting better with wood ID's though.

Is there a chance the deep furrowed bark tree is cotton wood ? or is the heart wood correct for Black locust ?

Thanks for the help.

Black Locust,Red oak and beech.
It will all burn very nicely in a few years.;)

All I see is BL with some other wood mixed in.

Is there a chance the deep furrowed bark tree is cotton wood ? or is the heart wood correct for Black locust ?
Pretty sure that's BL...

Reactions: ScotO
Locust & hard to tell what the other is.

All I see Is BTU's, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

That one tree(on the right) is a heck of a nice black locust.....great stuff. The tree on the left looks to be a red oak. Not sure about the one in the middle.....I need some close-ups. Either way, a lot of good stuff there. Don't get too much better than black locust......
Give me an address, I'll come up and get that stuff out of there for ya....;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I can see some BL and red oak.

As you all have probably guessed this was a Craig's list free wood potential score. By the time I found out where it was today 3 others and possible a 4th had already arrived. So I did not bother going after work today , figuring it was all pretty much all gone.

I am becoming a fan of BL and even a little better to I.D. ing it thanks to this web site and the help from you all.

Thanks for your insight and time.

The thrill of the hunt continues !

Mike

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.