Wood ID little to go on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Lots of branches. From the ground, all the way to the top. Lots of bucking.... But what is it? Hope these don't come out sideways (pics). Also. Last pic is of a Mushroom I found while walking today. Put a Nickel on it to show its size. Pretty Good One.

Attachments

• bark%20pics%201.jpg
    bark%20pics%201.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 356
  • bark%20pics%202.jpg
    bark%20pics%202.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 344
  • bark%20pics%203.jpg
    bark%20pics%203.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Mushroom.jpg
    Mushroom.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 320
I would say it is Sugar Maple.

Edit / My record of wrong tree I.D. continues. :coolgrin:

Zap

Will Sugar Maple be seasoned by this winter? If I C/S/S this week? Stupid Question, I know. But I've been burning Pellets for a few years and I'm just getting into the wood thing seriously. Been burning in my Fireplace for almost 10 yrs. Been buying most of my wood every year. Now that I for the "30". I'm ready to start burning me some wood! Thanks for the input Zap.

I think the bark and the form of the tree and branches look like Pin Oak. I can't really tell what the leaves look like from the pics, so I'll have to stick with Pin Oak as my guess. Oak will take two years to be really well seasoned, after which time it will be great firewood.

Wood Duck said:
I think the bark and the form of the tree and branches look like Pin Oak. I can't really tell what the leaves look like from the pics, so I'll have to stick with Pin Oak as my guess.
That was my first thought when Dex said "lots of branches all the way up."
Here's a pic of some Pin I have outside. The bark is smoother but these rounds are from branches, not at the base of the tree.

Below is a link to the leaf. It's the one on the left. A little smaller than other Oaks and deep sinuses between the lobes.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/001-5.jpg

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/components/3474-11.html

looks like oak bark to me.

Pin Oak.

All the limbs and many pointing down, it certainly could be pin oak. Once you get the limbs off it makes excellent firewood.

NE Ohio? Give it another 10 days and you'll be able to get a good leaf ID.

I looked up a Pin Oak. It does have branches at the top that reach up, branches in the center that extend straight out and branches towards the bottom, that sway down. Because its a member of the Oak family? That means it won't be ready by this winter? Right?

That is correct Dexter.

Just called on a 6-8 cord Log Length Load. They are 30-40 ft Logs. They will set them wherever I want with there Crane. $450. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Majority would be ash with some maple thrown in. Is this too much for Log Length? Even if it was 6 cord, It would still be $75/cord. If it were a full 8 cord load, then $56/cord. And they will put it in my New Found Splitting area... I wouldnt have to go cut (3 miles down the road) and drag home in my truck/trailer. Would save alot of time and energy.

dexter,
I think you should start a new thread if you want answers about the cost of the logs. I think $56/cord sounds like a good deal, if it gets closer to $100/cord then it sounds too expensive for logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.