wood id, mulberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctswf

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
ct, usa
hi,
I commented on a recent thread that I might have picked up some mulberry, i was hoping someone can confirm.

I was reading mulberry smells nice and some people even cook with it.The tree company who cut it said no one would want it because this type of wood stinks... Assuming they were wrong I cut it up and it does indeed stink like piss right now.

before I cart more home and get yelled at by the wife, here are some pictures.

it splits very yellow, and im pretty sure it produced berrys.

Attachments

• 20151211_162734-640x360.jpg
    20151211_162734-640x360.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 20151211_162751-640x360.jpg
    20151211_162751-640x360.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 20151212_131741-640x360.jpg
    20151212_131741-640x360.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 234
I agree, mulberry...... Get all you can.....

Reactions: D8Chumley
thanks guys, I will snatch up the rest tomorrow.

when its properly dried I assume its not offensive smelling in the fire? I was no in to its green wood smell, or should I say yellow wood

No smell at all that I've noticed. This is my first year burning it. It's like oak, needs a couple years to dry out.

Looks a lot like my mulberry. This is mulberry for sure.
Noodled_Crotch-800_zps5wjomws7.jpg

Sweeps rates it better than red oak, just short of white. Good stuff, I have some scattered in my stacks. Did that before I knew better, now I sort it out when I come across it

The last pick almost looks like black locust. And the bark doesn't look like the mulberry I see in PA. If it starts turning purple when it dries, it's mulberry. 28M btus a cord, I believe. 3 years to dry out, but it pumps a ton of heat. But like I said, maybe mulberry varies slightly by region.

It is great wood after a LOT of time seasoning. I have some that sat covered for 3 years I'll get to this winter. It should burn excellent.

everywhere seems to say the same, 3 years to season

if split thin can it possibly dry in 12 months from now?
You can season any wood in a year if you split it small enough.

Reactions: ctswf
The last pick almost looks like black locust. And the bark doesn't look like the mulberry I see in PA. If it starts turning purple when it dries, it's mulberry. 28M btus a cord, I believe. 3 years to dry out, but it pumps a ton of heat. But like I said, maybe mulberry varies slightly by region.
I took my picture right after I noodled that central piece. I was bucking and decided to noodle before I even moved it to where I split. A few days later it was definitely a darker color, maybe not purple but much darker. It is definitely mulberry. I know because both the birds and I have been enjoying the berries for years now. I did not enjoy what those birds did with it after they ate it though.

It looks just like the mulberry I find around Lancaster.

Thats' definitely mulberry. I have been piling it up by the tonnage, will be great to burn ina couple years. Mulberry and hedge can be confusing, especially if the bark is not on it. They tend to both grow on fencelines or tree rows, they both have that yellow color when you cut into the, but hedge is a much brighter yellow. I just split some hedge logs that i've had for several years and they were bright yellow when i opened them up. Mulberry is a much lighter yellow.

I have a large tree in my yard that I love and my wife hates, wants to replace it with a different species. years ago a tree service doing work also referred to it as a trash tree.

Unrelated to this firewood thread, but now I realize its also a mulberry. It does not produce anything though, must be a male I guess. Now I know it will go in my wood pile some day far away

If it has leaves like this it is mulberry.
mulberryleaf-300x162.jpg

You are right but the other leaves look a lot like leaves on other trees to me. That leaf shape seems to be distinctly mulberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.