wood ID - need to know before i go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i see this on craigslist. it's very close to where i live. but, i'm starting to get picky and don't want something that'll be unnecessary work (just regular, necessary work!)

00M0M_aYVP7XXNP4G_1200x900.jpg

I rarely deal with Pine so it's not top of mind for me. The few I've tried were so knotted me 5-ton wasn't able to split them. As a matter of fact I just burned a bunch of ash and pine chunks that I couldn't split. Fire ran for 18 hours before I got tired of watching it. I got rid if about 1/2 of the "unsplittables".

hmm. i was thinking doug fir with the ring between outside and inside wood (not sure of those terms) and the thick, deep bark on some of the bigger pieces.

You're not going to get much help from us east coast types on this one. A lot of people in the eastern hardwood zone just see a conifer and think "pine", and there's no doug fir around here. Whatever it is, it's been "seasoning" a while. I agree with you that this could be doug fir just based on the rough, deep bark on the bigger rounds. But my only experience with that is what I've seen from the trail on a couple hikes I took in the san juan islands. Sorry.

Reactions: Lcback
Fir. Might be hemlock mixed in.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yes the large pieces are definitely fir, the rest is hard to determine. That thick bark make very good heat!

Edit - just noticed how old this thread is......

i see this on craigslist. it's very close to where i live. but, i'm starting to get picky and don't want something that'll be unnecessary work (just regular, necessary work!)

View attachment 181654
Douglas fir is my guess. Just cut a bunch.

Last edited:
Thicker bark pieces are definitely Doug fir. Smaller ones could be hemlock or fir.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.