Wood ID part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurnerInWI

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
So here is the other wood that I'm stumped on. Like the other logs it too splits super easy and is very heavy. I am really curious as to what this one is. All of these images are from the same log, which was approx. 15 ft long.
20200130_152017_HDR.jpg20200130_152026.jpg20200130_152114_HDR.jpg20200130_152204.jpg20200130_152213.jpg20200130_154222.jpg20200130_154256.jpg20200130_154416_HDR.jpg20200130_154425.jpg20200130_154435.jpg

Tulip poplar grows straight, splits easy , not great wood

Looks like Norway Maple to me. I think it's an underrated wood, I get easy overnight burns with it and it seasons great within two summers. Only thing I don't like about it is around here, most that's available is yard trees which have a tendency to get super twisty and knotty.

Reactions: tadmaz
Definitely poplar, I made the mistake of picking some up off the the side of the road this fall it was at night thought it was maple. I got two loads for the firepit

I don't know what it is but Tulip Poplar doesn't have that sapwood, and the bark doesn't look like it either.

Norway Maple

Reactions: D8Chumley
I have cut up a lot of poplar here in the NC mountains, as I throw it off into the woods to get it out of my way, and I know it will rot in good time and make good mulch.
Poplar is green in the middle. The heart wood is green.
That is not poplar.

Reactions: nrford
FF58EF5D-616E-49B8-B8F3-D3A08B1BEDC2.png
0F5EDE19-CDC4-43A0-A758-C3676248301E.png

IMHO its maple. The 7th photo over shows a flecking in the heartwood that is typical to a maple.

Reactions: CincyBurner
Tulip doesn't have that orange inner bark..

Fingers crossed its any sort of maple lol!! I'll know for sure this time next year when I burn it. If I get decent burn times, its a maple. If it goes up like pine, its poplar ;lol

7th photo over shows a flecking in the heartwood that is typical to a maple.
Nice get. I see that in pic 9, and a little in pic 7.

Not sure what grows in your region but looks like sassafras to me. The orange cambium layer looks like my sassafras here.
Yeah, that's what I first thought when I saw the orange, but the split face doesn't look like Sass, and I've never seen sapwood like that on the Sass we have here. I've never seen Norway Maple..

Not much sass in these parts.
Looks like maple to me (which is highly common in N IL and WI.)

Not much sass in these parts.
Looks like maple to me (which is highly common in N IL and WI.)
We have a ton here. I've used dead, straight ones to support pallets at my SIL's, and it's held up well on the ground for several years so far.

Guys, there is no tulip poplar in WI. Looks mapely, most likely norway.
Fingers crossed its any sort of maple lol!! I'll know for sure this time next year when I burn it. If I get decent burn times, its a maple. If it goes up like pine, its poplar ;lol
I think the "Poplar" or "Popple" you have up there is Quaking Aspen, and maybe there are some other Aspens. From the charts I'm seeing, that stuff looks to be even worse for heat output than the lowly Tulip we have here. <>
In that second pic in the bottom row, you can see an example of where Tulip bark can look really close to White Ash. I got suckered early on...I dropped a dead tree, laid the saw to it, and saw the purple and green wood inside. I'm like, WTH?? ;lol