Wood ID pic. Thought it was oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Not so sure once I got into the limbs. Threw a couple pieces in the loader when it got dark and brought em in the garage.

It was a big S.O.B. better than 30inches on the butt end. Got a couple good logs out of it. Friend wants to bring his mill over.

I think oak has bark which is rougher and thicker... like you can stick you finger in to the bark 3/4 of an inch or so. Or is that ash? confused.

JP

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 578
Northern Red Oak no doubts whats so ever. This is true northern red oak. Usually good slick bark stuff like that yields the nicest lumber!

JP11 said:
Not so sure once I got into the limbs. Threw a couple pieces in the loader when it got dark and brought em in the garage.

It was a big S.O.B. better than 30inches on the butt end. Got a couple good logs out of it. Friend wants to bring his mill over.

I think oak has bark which is rougher and thicker... like you can stick you finger in to the bark 3/4 of an inch or so. Or is that ash? confused.

JP

Northern red oak. The limbs are going to look different from the main stem- they're younger.

Ok.. so if it's a more brown kind of bark.. and has deeper ridges in it?

White oak? Or ash?

JP

JP11 said:

White oak? Or ash?

JP

If ash, nice straight grained yellow/white splits, with bark in trunk with deep ridges. Rounds will look like they are surrounded with the outside ridges of a pie crust. White oak will be much more dense, trunk bark in older trees can look shaggy (not in plates like shagbark hickory), and upper limbs have bark the often peels in vertical ridges. Enjoy that red oak (in a couple-three years!). Cheers!

I'll also echo northern red oak. The smaller diameter/younger branches have a smooth bark that separates into furrows. The look always made me think of "stretch marks."

Plan is to split and stack on pallets. I bought 40 of them today. Wrap with chicken wire. I'm figuring about 4 foot stacks (depends on how much the kubota wants to lift)

Will paint 14 on this one.. as in year to burn. That should give me two summers. Got quite a bit of pine and hemlock that will be for next winter.

JP

Paid money for pallets? Man - there's tons of free ones all over the place round here. What does 40 pallets cost? I guess if you are putting the chicken wire on them and planning to use them multiple seasons - you want hardy fresh clean pallets and not some weak scrounged pallets.

I like the way you are thinking. Stack it ONCE and then use the Kubota to bring it in! That's really what I'd like to do, except I don't have a tractor. And a pallet jack will just sink in.

Share some pics once you get it all stacked!

JP11 said:

White oak? Or ash?

JP

Maybe this will help you JP. Ash.

Oldash-3.jpg

Thanks.. so my idea of ash was right.

My small ID knowledge is growing.

As for pallets.. they were at a recyling place. patched up, but should work for a few seasons. I paid about 3 bucks each for them. The way fuel costs.. and frankly stretched for time (i'd rather fly at a side job for money and buy pallets) I figured it was better to get a stack at once.

That's the idea. Stack.. spray a "best by" date on it.. and set it out to dry. I've got a bit of old metal roofing for some top cover. I'm anxious to get the new spiltter. It will have to wait till I get back from my next trip. I'm also working about a 30" red oak. LOTS of big limbs after I pull out a couple saw logs.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.