Wood ID please - 3 kinds....I think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Can someone ID these for me? I think the first is ash?

Attachments

• wood id 1.jpg
    wood id 1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 603
  • wood id.jpg
    wood id.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 610
ash, beech,ash?

ash, beech +? At least cut an end off the last one on the right. The true wood can't be black. Split it to help the id.

Ash, Maple and ?

Ray

split that last one open...or cut a couple inches off the end...then take a pic

ash, maple, maybe ash

ash maple mulberry mulberry should be yellow or orangeish when you cut it

I was thinking mulberry also.

ash , maple, sassafrass

my guess.

I agree with the maple for #2. I was laying down the first time I looked at it!

Here are some pictures of them split. I am certain 1 is ash. I think 2 is maple...it appears to be the same as some other wood I've been splitting today that everyone identified as maple in a previous post. The 3rd...maybe ash..still don't know.

Attachments

• wood id 3.jpg
    wood id 3.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 507
first 2 definitely go ..ash and maple the last one id guess mulberry or maybe an elm species

I like the random cut in the first piece of ash, makes me think about cutting on grapple loads. The second is maple, never seen the last species.

WB

I agree with Ash and Maple for the first two. Can you post a picture of the bark close up for the third split?

1 - ash

2 - red maple (bark in pic 1 made me consider beech, but the end grain is wrong)

3 - rock/sugar/hard maple

So what is that last one anyway? Could it be walnut? the bark's not quite right but that's the only wood I know that has a pith like that. can't quite tell the diameter or age of this piece.

CrawfordCentury said:
1 - ash

2 - red maple (bark in pic 1 made me consider beech, but the end grain is wrong)

3 - rock/sugar/hard maple

2x

This is the tree that the 3rd piece came from. It obviously was a branch. I am just learning species of trees....never really gave much thought until recently. Is this an ash? The bark on the piece appears very different from the trunk. Anyone got an answer for me?

Attachments

• tree id4.jpg
    tree id4.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 356
Looks like norway maple too.

gzecc said:
Looks like norway maple too.

While I still thing the piece of wood in the OP looks like sugar, I think you might be right.

Quick couple questions for the OP, BucksCounty...

I see that there has been some landscaping done at the base of the trunk. Is this because grass will not grow beneath the tree?

Do you have any pics of the canopy? Norway has kind of a lillipop looking perfect crown which is why it was prized as a landscape tree. It is also very hearty, and does well in urban and suburban settings - often planted in lieu of the elms that died from utch Elm. The road treatments that'd kill a sugar maple are less felt by the Norways.

CC, I think it might be a Norway Maple. I found this website on a post and I was looking at all the different species of trees and I think it appears more to be a Norway Maple. I will take a pic of the canopy when possible and post. At the bottom, there is mulch around the tree, but not deep. It appears deep but that is because underneath of it, there is hard ground that rises above the grass. Very weird.

www.oplin.org/tree/name/commonname.html

BucksCounty said:
CC, I think it might be a Norway Maple. I found this website on a post and I was looking at all the different species of trees and I think it appears more to be a Norway Maple. I will take a pic of the canopy when possible and post. At the bottom, there is mulch around the tree, but not deep. It appears deep but that is because underneath of it, there is hard ground that rises above the grass. Very weird.

www.oplin.org/tree/name/commonname.html

By way of comparison, the tree next door is positively Norway. You can tell by the way it branches out from the trunk. It looks like the one in question tried to do that too but was trimmed several years ago. Given how beautiful they are as shade trees (though considered an invasive these days), the only explanation I can think of for the trimming is that the branches must've interfered with a driveway ot some other feature.

index.php

So how is it as firewood? A little less good than red maple, and way less good than sugar maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.