Wood ID please Part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
More Yard Pics, looks like an oak but not sure what kind

Attachments

• chimney 022.jpg
    chimney 022.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 141
  • chimney 023.jpg
    chimney 023.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 160
Some kind of oak, I'm guessing pin oak based on the size of its nuts. (Yes, there will be some snickers and comments on that one>>)

fv

Reactions: n3pro
I'd say either a Red Oak or more likely Black Oak. The Bark seems more like Black Oak but it is hard to tell from the picture.

Reactions: ScotO
I vote red oak, some say red & black are the same.
I'm not sure for different areas, looks like what we called a WV red oak to me.

Reactions: ScotO
It is a RED OAK. And yes bogydave black oak is a subspecies of red oak. 56 subspecies in North America, White Oak has 38 subspecies I believe.

It is common for oaks to be informally lumped into the "red oak" and "white oak" groups. To say that these are all subspecies is not correct. Quercus velutina is not a subspecies of Q. rubra.

See I told you it was oak! I personally don't care what kind it is as long as it's the kind that attracts deer to my tree stand.

fv

Looks like red oak leaves, but the bark looks kinda like a pin oak. The acorns are not white oak acorns so I'm saying it is in the red oak family.

Pin oak.

Best guess . . . red oak.

Better guess . . . primo firewood in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.