Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
I got a trailer load of this wood from a free craigslist ad, but i dont know what kind it is...i do know the bark is very smooth and the wood is stringy as heck!! After i split it on the splitter, i usually have to use my Fiskars hatchet to seperate the splits!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 153
Looks like a Northern red oak to me.

Looks like white oak

Reactions: ScotO
Red Oak or what ever red oak is called where you are.

Looks like Hickory to me too.. Great smoking wood!

Ray

Pretty sure it's White Oak a better photo of the end would be nice.

If its Hickory its not Shagbark or Shellbark. Scaly bark & wood color looks more White Oak.

looks like white oak to me.

I got a trailer load of this wood from a free craigslist ad, but i dont know what kind it is...i do know the bark is very smooth and the wood is stringy as heck!! After i split it on the splitter, i usually have to use my Fiskars hatchet to seperate the splits!
Good stuff! :)

Ray

There is even a white oak leaf in the photo.

there's also a pine branches and cones too,.... whos to say where these rounds were dropped,.. but def white oak.

That's white oak. Smells like vanilla when you split it up, good stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.