Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
Going to pick up this wood over the weekend and just wondering which pile to put it in. Shoulder season wood or really cold weather wood. Any help on identifying it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Wood 4.jpg
    Wood 4.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 184
Meh, it has 2/3 the btu's of white oak. Guess I'll pick it up and use it too. Free is free.

Hope to one day be able to ID all these woods rather easily. Think I have oak and sweet gum down pretty good. Working on the rest.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Don't be knock'in on the silver maple.;) Makes great fuel for the shoulder season. It also lights up quick, throws good heat in the meantime and seasons well in a 12 mo. time frame. I actually will seek out some for each burning season.

Last year I had to make due with nothing but White Oak. I was wish'in for some maple.

Reactions: ScotO
White Oak

I've got to side with the old white oak too. You should certainly be able to tell once you try and split a piece.

Don't think it is white oak. Got some white oak from these people already, and they knew what oak was. They have no clue what this tree is. Here is a pic of the white oak from Tuesday. I will post pics of splits of the "aged" wood over this weekend after I get it and split it.

Attachments

• Wood 5.jpg
    Wood 5.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 145
  • Wood 5.jpg
    Wood 5.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 144
White oaks are big trees as you know.............the aged wood could easily just be a branch that came off one of these big trees and the people had no clue

Don't think it is white oak. Got some white oak from these people already, and they knew what oak was. They have no clue what this tree is. Here is a pic of the white oak from Tuesday. I will post pics of splits of the "aged" wood over this weekend after I get it and split it.

That's white oak in those pictures.

Going to pick up this wood over the weekend and just wondering which pile to put it in. Shoulder season wood or really cold weather wood. Any help on identifying it would be appreciated.

Maple or white oak.
Split an easy one to know for sure ;)

Reactions: will711
Definately white oak. That fungus growing on the end of the one round, combined with the end grain of the rounds, is the tell-tale for me. Get all you can, get it split and stacked, and in a couple years you'll have some primo stuff.

As for the silver maple, I get tons of it and I wouldn't be without it. I've pretty much been heating since we first lit up this October with it exclusively. Save for the overnighters, I use locust, elm, and ash.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That's white oak in those pictures.

In the second set of pics, that is indeed white oak. I know that already because that is the first tree I got. No doubt that is white oak. It looked like white oak while I was splitting it, it smelled like white oak when I got it home and got out of the truck, and it looked and smelled like white oak today when I stacked it all. Thing is, the first pic at the very top of the thread is the mystery wood. It is an entirely different tree on a different rental property of theirs that they had cut down last year. So, the two trees are completely unrelated.

First is still Silver maple and then of course you have the positive ID of the second set of pics as white oak.

In the second set of pics, that is indeed white oak. I know that already because that is the first tree I got. No doubt that is white oak. It looked like white oak while I was splitting it, it smelled like white oak when I got it home and got out of the truck, and it looked and smelled like white oak today when I stacked it all. Thing is, the first pic at the very top of the thread is the mystery wood. It is an entirely different tree on a different rental property of theirs that they had cut down last year. So, the two trees are completely unrelated.
Not all white oak bark looks the same. That fungus on the wood in the very first post, though, is what grows on the sapwood of the white oaks we cut around these parts. I'm laying my chips on white oak.

Reactions: Fifelaker and ScotO
lol! Either way, 'tis free BTU's......I'd be hauling it all out regardless.....

THIS SUNDAY, SUNDAY SUNDAAAAAY!! (in my best announcer voice) ;)

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.