Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either one will be OK free btu's just your time :cool:

No doubt I am going to pick it up. Just wondering which stack to put it in. For the past 60 days I have been heating the house with sweet gum, poplar, and some punky oak that I got last summer.

I am wondering what the heck I am going to do if all I have on hand is oak. Right now, I think 6 out of the 10 cords I have is either red or white oak. Another 2 cords is locust. Only have about 2 cords left of the low btu stuff. If I only have room for 10 cords right now, should I maximize the btu's, or look to include some of the lighter stuff for shoulder season? Might have to start another thread for this question. Personally, I think I could live with oak for shoulder season because the sweet gum and poplar requires too many trips down to the furnace. Also, I have only really been lighting the furnace at 6:00 at night and throw a couple more logs on the fire around 2:00 am when I get to bed and we usually wake up to 75 degree temps and the house stays above 70 until the sun goes down. This first year is one heck of a learning curve.

No doubt I am going to pick it up. Just wondering which stack to put it in. For the past 60 days I have been heating the house with sweet gum, poplar, and some punky oak that I got last summer.

I am wondering what the heck I am going to do if all I have on hand is oak. Right now, I think 6 out of the 10 cords I have is either red or white oak. Another 2 cords is locust. Only have about 2 cords left of the low btu stuff. If I only have room for 10 cords right now, should I maximize the btu's, or look to include some of the lighter stuff for shoulder season? Might have to start another thread for this question. Personally, I think I could live with oak for shoulder season because the sweet gum and poplar requires too many trips down to the furnace. Also, I have only really been lighting the furnace at 6:00 at night and throw a couple more logs on the fire around 2:00 am when I get to bed and we usually wake up to 75 degree temps and the house stays above 70 until the sun goes down. This first year is one heck of a learning curve.
I would use oak all year long if I had access to it all the time. I love white oak, one of my favorites as a matter of fact.......

Burns long, hot, and lots of good coals.....and in the end, it turns into complete powder. When I'm burning nothing but locust and oak I only have to empty the ashes around once every two weeks out of my stove.....I love that stuff!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If I only have room for 10 cords right now,

Baaaa...ya got any empty cupboards? Move the car out of the garage? Stack higher? There has to be a solution.;)

Reactions: milleo and ScotO
Baaaa...ya got any empty cupboards? Move the car out of the garage? Stack higher? There has to be a solution.;)

Let me rephrase. I only have room in the racks for 10 cords or so. I have two acres of land with only one tree on it that is not on the property line. I have a 35 x 58 unfinished basement, but don't really feel like storing wood in it except for the half rack that I am in the process of burning. The 2 car garage, doesn't have a car in it, but not going to put wood in it. The driveway is about 200 feet long. Yeah, I have room all over to put wood, just would prefer to put it in racks. Will see how much more I get this winter because I just filled most of the two empty racks up with Tuesday's score. If things go well, we will be putting in a 30 x 40 foot stand alone garage in the back of the property, so all seasoned wood will be going into it.

First pic below is what my place looked like last summer. Second pic is of the racks I made. I have 12 of those racks full of wood right now and still have wood piled on a couple of treated 2x4's just laid on the driveway.

Attachments

• Hearth 2.jpg
    Hearth 2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Hearth 11.jpg
    Hearth 11.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 132
Next years stash is almost all white oak...the rest is red and black. I know...I'll have to fight through it...

Reactions: ScotO
Bark looks the same in both pics. My first guess was white oak, but I'm still learning on many of the wood I haven't cut much of yet.

No, this Sunday nobody can cut wood. We all got to be by the TV and watch the Steelers get rumbled by the Bengals :)

Lol.....I'm actually rooting for the Bengals......
That way, the Steelers at least have a SLIGHT chance of winning....;)
Self-induced reverse psychology!

Reactions: TimJ
Definately white oak. That fungus growing on the end of the one round, combined with the end grain of the rounds, is the tell-tale for me. Get all you can, get it split and stacked, and in a couple years you'll have some primo stuff.
As for the silver maple, I get tons of it and I wouldn't be without it. I've pretty much been heating since we first lit up this October with it exclusively. Save for the overnighters, I use locust, elm, and ash.
Not all white oak bark looks the same. That fungus on the wood in the very first post, though, is what grows on the sapwood of the white oaks we cut around these parts. I'm laying my chips on white oak.
Yeah, the second set of pics is further down the trunk where the bark isn't as flaky. First pics are White as well, as you'll be able to tell when you split one since you have smelled it before.
I grab all the White Oak I can; They don't die or blow down around here near as often as the Black/Reds do. That soft Maple can be gotten any time a storm blows through...

White oak weights about a zillion pounds when green too. Noticeably heavier than maple.

Let me rephrase. I only have room in the racks for 10 cords or so. I have two acres of land with only one tree on it that is not on the property line. I have a 35 x 58 unfinished basement, but don't really feel like storing wood in it except for the half rack that I am in the process of burning. The 2 car garage, doesn't have a car in it, but not going to put wood in it. The driveway is about 200 feet long. Yeah, I have room all over to put wood, just would prefer to put it in racks. Will see how much more I get this winter because I just filled most of the two empty racks up with Tuesday's score. If things go well, we will be putting in a 30 x 40 foot stand alone garage in the back of the property, so all seasoned wood will be going into it.

First pic below is what my place looked like last summer. Second pic is of the racks I made. I have 12 of those racks full of wood right now and still have wood piled on a couple of treated 2x4's just laid on the driveway.
Thanks Fabsroman for satisfying my voyeuristic need to snoop in other peoples woodpiles. I love that overhang you have!
Love pics! Go get that wood!! split it up and show us!!

What a wonderful position to be in! Do you need other wood just for spring and fall? Absolutely not. The oak will do nicely any time of the year and you won't have to refill very often in those times of the year.

That first picture shows White Oak. I am pretty sure I see medullary rays in the end grain of the large round closest to the camera. Maple does not have those rays, oak does. That bark looks exactly like many White Oaks around here, and I have seen the same fungus on lots of white oak rounds.

I bet the inside wood is still in great shape, but the sapwood you might want to remove if it is punky. In a couple of years the sapwood may turn to a soggy mess while you're waiting for the wood to season. i stacked some Chestnut oak with punky sapwood a few years ago, and right now it is a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.