Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
It's in a row of white oaks. Not sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 237
I'm thinking Pine or Hemlock. I'm not good at I.D'ing softwoods, but I think that's what you have there.

Reactions: nrford and ScotO
I got tired of laying down to look at the picture. It's not a white pine Scott.

image.jpg

Hahahahah I can't figure out the picture uploader! Thanks guys.

Heath - the pictures took me awhile too at first!

I would have said white pine, like Scott, but since Dennis vetoed that I'll stick with some other kind of pine.

I'd say White Pine. Especially with all that pine pitch on it! Sorry Savage!

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
If it is pine there should be some pine needles, unless it was standing dead. I can't tell what it is from the picture.

Look closely at the butt end of that log. Resin oozing out of the sapwood. Without a doubt that is white pine. I got a pile of logs at the mill ready to cut that are the exact same thing........

Reactions: Thistle and nrford
I'd say White Pine. Especially with all that pine pitch on it! Sorry Savage!

No need to be sorry, it just doesn't look like white pine to me. But I've said before, I'm terrible trying to ID with pictures. I'll bow to your judgement.

Reactions: nrford
Looks like white pine to me, especially the rounds under the log with the yellow heartwood.

I split up one a few weeks ago that was slightly pink tinted. I meant to take pics before the sun faded it.

Pine. yes.

I've read this whole thread, and I've come to the professional conclusion, based on pin point analysis of the photo, along with discerning study of each and every post thus far, it is, undeniably, and indisputably,

PINE :p

Ok....I am a bit late on this one...and going to go with Douglas Fir...the red in the center indicates Doug Fir....would have to see the needles tho to make sure...

Do they have it in NC?
What do you get if you cross an Elephant with a Rhino? Elifino!

I am just saying if it was out here, that is what it would be for sure, A Doug Fir tell tale is that red interior.

It's not white pine.
Looks more like what they call shortleaf pine down here

describe or pic of foliage?

Status
Not open for further replies.