Wood ID please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
image.jpg

Smells like vinegar after I split it by the way.

sycamore ?

they are usually a landscape / planted tree around here

Reactions: ScotO
Split with the meter in it is Sycamore for sure.
It's one species you only have to I.D once. Very distinctive bark. Bark also changes a lot from the lower trunk to the branches.

I meter the center also. This one on the center was 20. It has been inside a barn for 2 years and still has 20 on moisture. Sheesh! Lets all go in on a kiln in the Midwest. Lol

Was it split in the barn? I seem to remember sycamore drying faster than that....

It was like pictured.

Deffinately Sycamore.
Grows along creek bottoms for the most part.
Booger to split and more on the shoulder season scale of BTU wood

Sycamore is about 160% water when fresh cut. Not that bad of stuff to burn really. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but wouldn't leave it lay to rot either.

It went up like gas when I put it in there. Nice, hollow sound when I hit to pieces together. I put 2 good size pieces on the ash bed and some green wood on top, worked out nice.

Sycamore.
Usually found around a good water source .
I think last Fall "Steeltown" ,in WV. CSS'd several cords.
Seemed he said it was pretty good wood.

I meter the center also. This one on the center was 20. It has been inside a barn for 2 years and still has 20 on moisture. Sheesh! Lets all go in on a kiln in the Midwest. Lol

For sure that is why I always recommend drying the wood outside before storing it in barn, shed or whatever. Air circulation is the key to drying firewood.

Reactions: Applesister
We don't have any sick-a-more on our place but we see it in various places in the county. No big stands of it but that stuff really stands out from the other woods. Splits nice and easy....if you use hydraulics.

No doubt its Sycamore. Not the best but It to burn but not the worst either.

Status
Not open for further replies.