Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Wood

Nov 23, 2012
Flinton Ontario
Can someone tell me what this is, a friend said he thinks it is apple. I have about a dozen scattered around and will be glad when they are all gone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 172
Crab apple?
The thorns look nasty !
Bark similar to elm but it don't have the thorns.

I've never seen an apple wearing thorns. But the rest of that looks like apple. Do they have apples on them in the fall?

The wild Crab apples we in WV had them.

I don't know but if you just sawed that recently, it looks like it's ready to burn now or at least drying fast!

those thorns sure look like the devilish ones of a honey locust, and the wood looks like it could be just that. Younger trees, though....

Reactions: Thistle
I vote honey locust, good BTU's

I too was thinking honey locust. It does indeed look a bit like thorn apple and we have lots of those suckers here. If it is thorn apple, I'll guarantee it will not smell very good at all. Nasty stuff.

I think what you have there is a variety of Hawthorn, possibly Cockspur Hawthorn. The cutside of the wood is too orange color to be Honey Locust and the bark is all wrong. Google Hawthorn and you will see the one called Cockspur actually has sharp needles that are used as pins according to my "National Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Trees". It also says a nickname for it is "Hog Apple". I think that is what you have there....I have burned Downy Hawthorn and it looks similiar and was good stuff!

Reactions: nrford
I think that is some variety of Hawthorn, which is related to apples and even gets small fruits very similar to crab apples. Most hawthorns don't get thorns quite as nasty as the ones in the first picture, but there are many species of hawthorn and the size and number of thorns vary between species. The wood should be similar to apple wood.

Reactions: nrford
Can someone tell me what this is, a friend said he thinks it is apple. I have about a dozen scattered around and will be glad when they are all gone.
Hawthorns dont have needles that grow off of needles. The first pic is Honeylocust but the 3rd/ last pic may be some other tree.
Hawthorns have single thorns that grow off stems. Not the trunk of a tree as Honeylocust does.

Reactions: ScotO
Hawthorns dont have needles that grow off of needles. The first pic is Honeylocust but the 3rd/ last pic may be some other tree.
Hawthorns have single thorns that grow off stems. Not the trunk of a tree as Honeylocust does.

All three pics are from the same tree. I have a few more of these and will get a pic tomorrow of the branch and trunk.
That is the only one I have cut but they will all be coming down.

A particularly nasty Hawthorn. Hawthorns are know colloquially as Thorn Apple. You can eat the little fruits and they are supposed to be healthy eating, but they taste horrible until after some hard frost. After that they just taste bad.
Pretty good burning wood aside from the obvious hazards and its often tough splitting.

Good call on the Hawthorn everyone. Don't see those show up here often, but that's what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.