Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
This was delivered to me. What say you?

Attachments

• maple question id.jpg
    maple question id.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 136
Darn sure looks like maple but just can't tell from the picture if soft or hard maple. I would guess sugar (hard).

Reactions: TreePointer
Looks to be hard maple.
Fairly heavy , a little stringy , off white color & harder to split than the soft maples.
Primo stuff !

Reactions: TreePointer
Hard Maple

Reactions: ScotO
Sugar maple.

Isn't that nice, thought I was receiving oak that needed 2+ yrs to season, end up getting sugar maple that I can use for cooking or heating my house in 1 yr+. Nice when peoples wood/species ignorance works in your favor!
Still got some oak, but mostly sugar maple.

Yup. You did just fine gzecc.

Isn't that nice, thought I was receiving oak that needed 2+ yrs to season, end up getting sugar maple that I can use for cooking or heating my house in 1 yr+. Nice when peoples wood/species ignorance works in your favor!

I wanted and asked for maple this last delivery. I got oak.:(

Nice score btw.

Here is a pic of some wood I have. It looks a lot like yours. This is oak. Not sure what kind. Smooth, thin bark, light colored wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20130518_121846.jpg
    IMG_20130518_121846.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 70
I said in gzecc's other thread that I hadn't seen smooth-barked Oak here. So I'm over there working on the "scrappy little score" Mulberry that I posted about, and I start looking at trees. Lo and behold, there's a Black Oak, about 20", with bark that's almost smooth, even on the low trunk wood! There was some color variation on the trunk, maybe a precursor of changes coming in the appearance of the bark... Seems like I get another curve ball thrown at me almost every day out there. ;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Pin oaks tend to have rather smooth bark.

Not sure about that one from CA. Could be a pin but don't really look like it.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.