Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiscoWoodman

Jan 14, 2012
SW Wisconsin
I found a new low cost source for rounds of wood. There is a huge variety of various wood species to pick thru and load up. I thought I knew what this was when i grabbed it, but after splitting it I am not 100% certain now. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373946458.501139.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373946480.168479.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373946504.651869.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373946438.468531.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373946438.468531.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 93
Good. I thought ash when I grabbed it, but the split was a little stringier and darker than I have seen in past.

Thank you!

It is Ash. Just split a piece this morning to test the moisture. The diamond shape bark split and the thick shark teeth like bark when looking from the end cut are a dead giveaway.

Reactions: ScotO
Welcome to the forums! :)
I just split some White Ash from a dead standing tree, and it had the same light and dark areas. I'm pretty sure that's what you have there. Wisco, I think you should get you a can of Wisco 99, mix in a little oil, and go after the rest of it! ==c

Haha, definitely will do! Any predictions on whether that ash would be ready for burning this winter if split today? I have read on here opinions that if c/s/s in early spring, ash is ready by that winter. No moisture meter yet. The rounds were cut last year but I can tell when splitting still lots of moisture.

Obviously I am behind in wood collection and working to get ahead!

Keep working at it, you will get there...

Any predictions on whether that ash would be ready for burning this winter if split today? I have read on here opinions that if c/s/s in early spring, ash is ready by that winter.
Probably won't be real dry but the smaller you split the drier it will be. I would split to about 4", then stack loosely in a single-row in your windiest spot, with the prevailing wind hitting the side of the stack. Soft Maple will dry really fast but time is getting short. You'll get through with more frequent chimney brushings, and next year will be better. :)

Welcome to the forum Woodman.

Splitting ash is one of the easiest task there is in wood. However, I would definitely split that a lot different. With ash, I always split through the heart. Especially with the size you have there making it into 2 pieces makes the rest of the splitting really simple and super easy. That first split will take a couple whacks for sure but the rest will usually go with one swing.

After making 2 pieces from that log, I would then move to the side and standing in the one spot, split the rest with each split perhaps 4" wide. You will actually end up with several rectangular pieces which makes stacking the ends of the stack super easy. It is also good when putting in the stove during mid winter before you go to bed. With the rectangular pieces (or square) you can stack them tight into the stove and get more in which could make the difference between waking up to a warm house vs waking up to a cold house. You'll also be guaranteed a nice coal bed to start the next fire on.

People on here always talk about how easy ash is to split. Not so here. I typically get green ash and I find it decent to split but by no means easy. Bur Oak, Black Cherry, and soft maple are the common woods I get that are easy splitting.

The wood definitely looks like ash although the bark looks a little elmish to me.

There is a difference between green and white ash. Whites can sometimes be tough; those that are grown out in the open. Those that are grown in the woods almost always split super easy. Shoot, I hardly even sweat when pushing that lever on the hydraulics. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.