Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
I never saw this one before-it's not Mulberry but it has a very bright yellow in it and the inside looks kind of like Oak. It has a very light fragrance that I can only describe as a "mild" orange smell. And it has some weight to it.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• odd-wood01.JPG
    odd-wood01.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 167
  • odd-wood02.JPG
    odd-wood02.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 176
  • odd-wood03.JPG
    odd-wood03.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 170
Osage orange. Some call it Hedge.

I never saw this one before-it's not Mulberry but it has a very bright yellow in it and the inside looks kind of like Oak. It has a very light fragrance that I can only describe as a "mild" orange smell. And it has some weight to it.

What do you guys think?

Horrible stinky heavy wood. I'll pick it up for my outdoor furnace if you'd like!

Thanks for the replies! I don't get much Osage Orange here, believe it or not-I had some last year from a grown tree that I could actually see was Osage, but it didn't look as yellow as this is, maybe because this is a younger piece than what I had. Man did it throw bright yellow noodles when I ripped this piece!

Thanks again!

Don't think it's hedge...bark wrong. You'd also be cursing the thorns! ;) Any leaf pics? Woods tree or yard? Yours also has a center color that's really unique...no idea.
Here's some hedge:
hsplits.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what it is. This was a small tree, and there are a few uncommon small trees in PA that I don't see often and don't know what the wood looks like. I think this is one of those unusual trees, not something we see commonly on this forum. It doesn't look like Mulberry or Osage Orange to me.

Was it a yard tree? Maybe some kind of ornamental?

Don't think it's hedge...bark wrong. You'd also be cursing the thorns! ;) Any leaf pics? Woods tree or yard? Yours also has a center color that's really unique...no idea.
Here's some hedge:
View attachment 112426

This was about a 5 foot branch that was laying in a local compost site; the unique color made me grab it-there are no leaves or nothing else to go by. Like I said I did have some Hedge last year from trees that I could actually see that were Osage Orange, and the color of the grain was more uniform like in your pictures and it resembled Mulberry somewhat; this one here has a bright yellow strip on the outer edge, a slightly lighter yellow strip more inwards and that middle grain section looks like Oak. When a few ID'ed it as Osage I thought maybe I just missed it, but thinking on it I think I would've been able to ID Osage. Perhaps it is some kind of funky ornamental tree?

Thanks for the help guys! It REALLY shot out VERY BRIGHT YELLOW strips when noodling this piece, almost fluorescent Yellow!

OK, here's a wild guess: Yellowwood, Cladrastis lutea. It has a very limited range but is planted as an ornamental.

Reactions: osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.