Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

setitonfire

Oct 24, 2013
Topsham, Maine
I have a bunch of rounds from what I though was an Oak cut down earlier this year. Can you guys help me id what this is. Not much bark left on the wood. Never seen the black vein before so not sure if it's rotted or what.

IMG-20131108-00053.jpg District 5-20131108-00054.jpg

Red oak getting to look like was moving towards the "standing dead " stage.

"Standing dead" is right. I had to keep my eyes up every time I left the house for fear of getting a branch to the head. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yes most likely red oak, you can see how it starts to brake down from the outside in, the white on the outside I bet has no density anylonger. Burn it before it will turn to paper...

I would agree with the red oak... It's what I have the most of here. It was in your yard? Maybe you would have some older pictures of it still standing or with leaves to confirm.

Your stain in the middle was most likely caused by a piece of metal lurking somewhere within.

Welcome to the forum setitonfire.

That is some nice looking oak and it probably won't take too long to dry by the looks of it. I'd still wait a year on it if possible.

Welcome! You have some almost seasoned red oak there.:)

Yep thats red oak and Paul Bunion , is right the black streak in the middle is from some kind of metal inside the tree . Be careful you don't ruin a chain ..

There was Definitely some metal in that tree and it could be 10ft from the stain , so watch out for it

Red oak for me too. The blue in the middle is not rot, the wood looks solid. The blue/black is just stain. You could run a magnet or metal detector over the splits see if you can find where the metal may be lurking but no big deal.
The white punky wood is decomposed sapwood. On Red oak its only about a half to 1" of outside wood.
If you can keep those splits covered the punky outside will dry better.

You guys are dead on. The tree was bifurcated and the previous owner had someone put a steel cable between them. Will be letting this season for next year. Thanks.

Yes most likely red oak, you can see how it starts to brake down from the outside in, the white on the outside I bet has no density anylonger. Burn it before it will turn to paper...

Yes it is definitely red oak but if it is split and kept off the ground you'd be surprised how long that could last. Top-covered would make it last even longer. I agree that it would not take overly long to dry and should definitely be ready by next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.